Question Cpu debug light

Robertfs

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Fresh build, all new parts. First build in over a decade.

Specs
B550 tomahawk max
5600g
Evga supernova 750
Corsair 16 gb 3200 cl16

I havent even gotten a post, cant get by cpu debug light (solid red). I do see my cooler fan spining and my mobo lights come on. Ive just been test benching and cant really figure it out.

Ive tried reseating everything multiple times. No bent pins, no obstructions in the am4 socket. As far as i can tell my PSU connectors are fine. I did also try resetting cmos even though with a fresh mobo it shouldnt matter. I have also tried with just one stick of ram as well, in multiple slots. The bios flash back as far as i could tell went fine and no parts were installed for the process.

Do i have a DOA cpu? I dont have another to test. What are my other options? Should I reset CMOS after the flashback? Im at a loss.
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage. age. condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used?

Go back a couple of steps.

Any beep codes? Some pattern of long and short beeps that repeats - listen carefully.

Starting with the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual double check that all installed components are indeed supported. Most User Guides/Manuals include such recommendations/listings. Also peek into the applicable Forums and FAQ's for both what is said and for what is not said.

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to verify that all installed components and configurations are correct.

Reactions: Robertfs

Robertfs

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
All parts are brand new and the PSU is a evga gt gold 750w. Im assembling the system myself. As mentioned above i have went to lengths to make sure all the simple trouble shooting steps are done. No bent pins, proper connections to mb and psu,flashed the bios. I dont even have it in a case yet to be able to listen to.beeps, just going.off the debug light. Its just on the mobo box. Ive even tried with no ram at all to see if i can trigger the dram debug light but still stuck on the cpu.

i really dont know what else to try other than a different CPU that i dont have access to. I COULD try a gpu and see if perhaps the internal gpu is messed up or my hdmi port on the mb. But again i have no access to another system. Im sorta stuck, ive followed several ytube tutorials as well as the manual (jay/lineus/mike). Im confident my components are installed correctly. Everythings rather easier to install than i remember lol. Getting it working is just as much of a problem as ever though.

Thanks again for any assistance

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB550TOMAHAWKMAXWIFI.pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable User Guide.

Go to MSI's website and confirm that all installed components, including CPU, are indeed supported per the current QVLs (Qualified Vendor's Lists). Also check any available FAQs and Forums to determine if anyone else has posted a similar problems.

= = = =

Even if you do not have a case you should be able to connect a basic speaker via the I/O panel to hear if there are any beep codes.

Did you insert the first physically installed memory module in DIMMA2 per numbered Page 17?

Ensure that the build is using a supported M.2 and PCIe combination per Page 18.

Boot drive: make, model, capacity? New?

When you Clear CMOS are you following the procedure on Page 27 (JBAT1)?

What motherboard LEDs come on and which ones do not?

Robertfs

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Hmm. I will try the speaker here in a few minutes. Gotta make sure i have an aux cord somewhere.
edit: speaker got feed back, made no beeps on 3 attempts.

Yuuup ...tried both sticks of ram in all four slot. Nodda.
I have not reset (did follow proper procedure) cmos since bios flash back. I will try that again after work i suppose. i have a tcreate 1tb nvme . My rgb lights under my mb chipset heatsink come on, cpu fan spins and the dreaded cpu debug light is solid red. Psu fan starts up and than stops right away, presumably since theres no load.

All parts are brand new - from sealed boxes with proper documentatiom. Everything shipped as it should. As far as i can tell none of the kits were opened, damaged or missing parts.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022
Hmm. I will try the speaker here in a few minutes. Gotta make sure i have an aux cord somewhere.
edit: speaker got feed back, made no beeps on 3 attempts.

Yuuup ...tried both sticks of ram in all four slot. Nodda.
I have not reset (did follow proper procedure) cmos since bios flash back. I will try that again after work i suppose. i have a tcreate 1tb nvme . My rgb lights under my mb chipset heatsink come on, cpu fan spins and the dreaded cpu debug light is solid red. Psu fan starts up and than stops right away, presumably since theres no load.

All parts are brand new - from sealed boxes with proper documentatiom. Everything shipped as it should. As far as i can tell none of the kits were opened, damaged or missing parts.
Hi, did you end up finding a solution to this?

having similar problems on my x570