[SOLVED] CPU Decision - 2 Options

milviz

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
I am in the process of buying an Intel/Nvidia based PC and would like some knowledgeable CPU advice please. I currently have a i9-9900K/2080ti setup and I am looking at a i9-11900/3090 combination. This is for my VR machine (for flight simulations) and the 2 simulations I run the most are Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and DCS World. The question is... do I choose the 11900F or 11900KF? The KF is obviously faster for multi-threaded apps but it requires liquid cooling in the solution I am looking at and, while I am not sure, I don't think either of these simulations really take much advantage of multi-threaded processes (please correct me if I am wrong). So would the F be a reasonable choice or am I still better off going for the KF. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Solution
If going 10th gen I would do the 10850k, since you can't.

Can you get the 11900K? I like to have the integrated GPU just in case you need it, nice to have a backup.

If not out of your choices I would get the KF chip. Good luck! Get a nice gen IV NVME

Endre

Reputable
I am in the process of buying an Intel/Nvidia based PC and would like some knowledgeable CPU advice please. I currently have a i9-9900K/2080ti setup and I am looking at a i9-11900/3090 combination. This is for my VR machine (for flight simulations) and the 2 simulations I run the most are Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and DCS World. The question is... do I choose the 11900F or 11900KF? The KF is obviously faster for multi-threaded apps but it requires liquid cooling in the solution I am looking at and, while I am not sure, I don't think either of these simulations really take much advantage of multi-threaded processes (please correct me if I am wrong). So would the F be a reasonable choice or am I still better off going for the KF. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Hello!
Just one suggestion:
Please take a look at the i9-10900K, as this CPU has 10 cores instead of 8, and the platform overall is a bit cheaper.
The biggest loss with the 10th gen platform being the PCIe 4.0 bus.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0900k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html

milviz

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Thanks Endre... the options I have to choose from are all 11th gen processors and hence the choice between the 11900F and 11900KF (no 10th gen in the options). Also price is really not much of a consideration.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
If going 10th gen I would do the 10850k, since you can't.

Can you get the 11900K? I like to have the integrated GPU just in case you need it, nice to have a backup.

If not out of your choices I would get the KF chip. Good luck! Get a nice gen IV NVME

Solution