Question cpu degradation on constant voltage

www.tgkaveh

Commendable
Feb 6, 2019
hi
i have core i5 4690k overclocked at 4.2ghz static override vcore at 1.158v
on 24/7? may i suffer cpu degradation on constant voltage?
my motherboard is asrock b85m.
Maximum temp: 55c
sorry for bad english

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Yes, When CPU is subjected to constant voltage, the CPU life will degrade faster than usual. That is why i would suggest using a balanced power plan instead of high performance.

It helps in reducing temps and reduce CPU's work when not in use but if your task demands your CPU to work @ 100% 24/7 then you have to cope with the faster rate of degradation.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Although i agree degradation is a thing, it's anyone's guess how long a cpu and or motherboard vrms or any other component subject to cpu overclocking lasts in that state.

My own experience with my 2600k since 2013 has been at 4.5 and is on daily but not 24/7 though, albeit it's been through a lot of games.

www.tgkaveh

Commendable
Feb 6, 2019
W
Yes, When CPU is subjected to constant voltage, the CPU life will degrade faster than usual. That is why i would suggest using a balanced power plan instead of high performance.

It helps in reducing temps and reduce CPU's work when not in use but if your task demands your CPU to work @ 100% 24/7 then you have to cope with the faster rate of degradation.
Why? Because of constant voltage or cpu temp? Exactly which of those?

www.tgkaveh

Commendable
Feb 6, 2019
Both really. More voltage all the time means higher temps all the time.

How long will the CPU last before starting to lose performance? Your guess is as good as mine.
yes the higher voltage result more temps and faster degradation. but what do you think about low CONSTANT voltage and low temp? i mean constant default voltage.

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
yes the higher voltage result more temps and faster degradation. but what do you think about low CONSTANT voltage and low temp? i mean constant default voltage.
It is not only temps. Temps are not the issue here but the voltage and the amperage. Running an OC CPU will increase both of them and a person doing that should be carefully check the VRM`s and CPU before doing any overclock. Just general staff, which can be found on the net