[SOLVED] CPU doesnt clock to max turbo boost at 100%

Mar 23, 2022
Hello,
I have a laptop with an intel i5-10500H which has a 2.5Ghz clock with a max turbo boost of 4.5Ghz.
At idle, it stays at 4Ghz or so and when gaming it goes down to 3.4 or so. maybe thats normal because i get temps of over 90º but when running a stress test im using 100% of the CPU at 3,35Ghz and its only at 75º. is there a way to fix this or is it normal.

Solution
That indicates power limit throttling. Watch the CORE column in Limit Reasons. When this happens, what does ThrottleStop report for power consumption? The 10500H has a 45W TDP rating so most manufacturers at default settings set the power limits so the CPU will throttle long term at 45W.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0500h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

PL2 is the short term power limit. This one is typically set 25% or more above PL1. For a short period of time, the CPU can consume much more than 45W but long term, throttling will change from PL2 to PL1.

Use www.imgur.com to host images. You do not need to be a member there but it is free if you want to...
Run ThrottleStop, open up the Limit Reasons window and find out why your CPU is not running at its rated speed.

It is usually power limit throttling. Run a consistent test like Cinebench and post some screenshots while the CPU is loaded if you need help understanding this.

Mar 23, 2022
Run ThrottleStop, open up the Limit Reasons window and find out why your CPU is not running at its rated speed.

It is usually power limit throttling. Run a consistent test like Cinebench and post some screenshots while the CPU is loaded if you need help understanding this.
ok i ran cinebench and got 2 limit reasons: PL1 and EDP OTHER in red and PL2 in yellow

i cant upload screenshot because i dont know how to

That indicates power limit throttling. Watch the CORE column in Limit Reasons. When this happens, what does ThrottleStop report for power consumption? The 10500H has a 45W TDP rating so most manufacturers at default settings set the power limits so the CPU will throttle long term at 45W.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0500h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

PL2 is the short term power limit. This one is typically set 25% or more above PL1. For a short period of time, the CPU can consume much more than 45W but long term, throttling will change from PL2 to PL1.

Use www.imgur.com to host images. You do not need to be a member there but it is free if you want to join. Many keyboards have a Print Screen button towards the top right row. Press that to take a screenshot. You can use Paint to paste (CTRL+V) those images into Paint so you can crop them. No one needs to see your whole desktop.

You can also try pushing the Windows key, the shift key and the S key at the same time to open up the Snipping tool. Even easier to get a screenshot doing this.

If you want a good free image editing program, check out Paint.NET.

Throttling at 45W is OK. Some laptops have problems where they start to throttle at well under the rated TDP. The TPL window in ThrottleStop will show you what your default power limits are set to.

What 1 core test are you running? Try running a ThrottleStop TS Bench single thread test. What does ThrottleStop report for the CPU multiplier while that test is in progress? You will never likely see the full 45 multiplier because of Windows background processes. The more stuff you have running in the background, the less likely you will see anything close to 4.5 GHz. Intel likes to over promise.

Last edited:
Solution
Your temperatures at 45W look good. If you want to try going beyond the 45W limit, open the TPL window and try increasing the PL1 power limit. Also check the MMIO Lock box. I would bump the PL1 limit up to 60W and then run another full load test.

Many recent laptops are hard coded to 45W so you will not be able to increase this limit. It never hurts to try though.

Mar 23, 2022
Your temperatures at 45W look good. If you want to try going beyond the 45W limit, open the TPL window and try increasing the PL1 power limit. Also check the MMIO Lock box. I would bump the PL1 limit up to 60W and then run another full load test.

Many recent laptops are hard coded to 45W so you will not be able to increase this limit. It never hurts to try though.
i have increased PL1 to 60 but still runs at 45W.
also, im getting good temps with these benchmarks, but while gamig cpu goes to 90º