Question CPU Doesn't Go Above 3.95GHZ when OCd to 4.0GHZ

Ben pc

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2015
I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 2600 with an AMD Wraith cooler, I'm not expecting crazy OC numbers but just a little boost. I currently have the value set to 4.0ghz but it doesn't seem to reach it even when under stress. Should I perhaps lower the value down to 3.95ghz or is there no harm in it being over if it doesn't reach?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 5 2600 with an AMD Wraith cooler

Stock CPU cooler is not meant for CPU OC. Best what stock CPU cooler can do, is cool CPU when you're running stock clocks, and even then, you may see high temps.

So, you're most likely hitting thermal ceiling and thus, can not OC your CPU as you want it. If you want the 4 Ghz (or more), upgrade your CPU cooler.

Ben pc

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2015
Stock CPU cooler is not meant for CPU OC. Best what stock CPU cooler can do, is cool CPU when you're running stock clocks, and even then, you may see high temps.

So, you're most likely hitting thermal ceiling and thus, can not OC your CPU as you want it. If you want the 4 Ghz (or more), upgrade your CPU cooler.
This is the cooler i'm using, https://www.amazon.com/Wraith-Cooler-Processor-AM4-Connector/dp/B07GKRR5WR It's not the stock one but maybe slightly better from what i'm aware.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Ben pc

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They've been using that design a long time. That style cooler came with my 125W Athlon X2. Aside from the fan, it hasn't changed at all. It is much better than the stealth cooler it does have a copper base and heat pipes.

Still, single core boost on a 2600 might get up to 4.1Ghz, but if you are loading more than one core, you are going to start trading all core speed for single core speed.