Question CPU/DRAM Error Lights after attempted GPU Swap

Jul 31, 2024
Hello there,

I recently completed a build featuring the parts listed at the bottom of this post. I started off with my old GTX 1080 for swapping out the CPU/RAM/Mobo. I ran into the same issue that I am facing now where my PC failed to boot up with CPU/DRAM error lights. I was able to resolve it but I do not remember exactly how. I believe I had tried:
  • BIOS Flashback (to update to the latest version, 3.01); I felt this was necessary regardless and so I did this first
  • Reseating the CPU and checking for bent/broken pins (none)
  • Adjusting the CPU cooler (some say AM5 has an issue with over-tightened coolers)
  • A CMOS clear by shorting the two pins on the motherboard
  • Reseating the RAM, trying different configurations. I eventually found success when using a single stick on the A2 slot.

However, that leads me to this point. I had replaced the 1080 with the 7900 XT when it arrived, and had no issues. After running tests and benchmarks on the 7900 XT, I then ran the DDU uninstaller, shutdown, disconnected power, and swapped for the 4070 Ti. When I attempted to start the PC on again, I was met with the same CPU/DRAM issue. This has left me utterly befuddled as I did not make any tweaks to any other parts. I did my best to ensure I was grounded and working in a static-free environment.

Given I had this same exact issue before, I tried running through the troubleshooting steps that I did previously. However, this has not worked unfortunately. In addition to those steps, I've done the following:
  • Removed the 4070 Ti. Tried booting with the iGPU, 7900 XT, and even my old 1080. No luck.
  • BIOS Flashback to different versions (1.21, 2.02, 2.10)
  • CMOS clear by removing the battery (3 seconds, then 10 minutes, then overnight)
  • "Unboxing" the motherboard by setting it up with only the CPU. cooler, RAM on the motherboard box. I connected only the Mobo and CPU power cables, as well as the power button.
  • Ensured my PSU cables were fully-in. I tested this on my old build and it had no errors.
  • Waiting 5-10 mins after each boot in case there is a memory training issue (I feel that the CPU isn't being initialized at all, but I did this just to be safe)

I think overall I might chalk up my previous success with getting the motherboard to boot as an anomaly as opposed to the norm. This is my first time dealing with such a complicated issue, though, so I would be happy to be proven wrong. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas.

Thank you.

VvzhkKR.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Hitachi 7K2000 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Jul 31, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

3.06 is the latest, not 3.01;
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B650M Pro RS/index.asp#BIOS

Try and relieve some stress off the CPU cooler's mount until it's just resting on the CPU's IHS. How old is the PSU in your build?

Thank you!

Strangely my browser wasn't displaying 3.06. I viewed it in another browser and was able to download 3.06.

I will try tinkering with the cooler mount further. The PSU is 8 years old. Would it be a factor if the PC was able to work previously? I had perfect stability until trying to swap my GPUs.