Oct 17, 2011
Hi,
I'm running the following setup:

Gigabyte X370-K5
Ryzen 1200(overlocked to 4GHz)
Gigabyte Vega 56
24GB (2X8GB@ 3200mhz & 2X4GB @ 3200mhz) of RAM
750w Gold EVGA PSU

I'm ordering a Ryzen 3600 replacement this weekend but I'm currently getting a black screen crash. Out of the blue my two monitors go black (no picture at all) and the RGB on my keyboard & mouse goes out. I'm forced to hold the power down on my PC and start Windows up again - everything goes fine after a reboot(2nd bios is never engaged). When I examined the LED error codes on the motherboard - the CPU & DRAM LED's were flashing in an alternating fashion. Also one of the fans on the push pull air cooler had stopped but the other one was still going.

I can't figure out what is causing the black screen crash. I know the Gigabyte X370-K5 is not the best of motherboards but it should be ok for relatively light work loads. I checked the power cords were all properly seated. I've the latest drivers for the Vega 56 but it's not being pushed at all on the desktop. Usually have a lot of tabs open, several applications etc when the black screen crash happens. The case fans I have at the moment are noisy so I have them down low but leave the side window off so its cool inside the case.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Your memory config I'm sure is the problem.

1. 1st Gen Ryzen can barely support 3200mhz on two DIMMs single rank. I'd be absolutely shocked if you got 3200mhz to work on 4 DIMMs, especially on a R3 1200.
  2. Going with different kinds of memory kits together is just asking for trouble.

First, take out the 2x4GB 3200mhz kit, if you still can't post, try clearing your CMOS.

aindriu80

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I took out the 2x4GB 3200mhz kit and I'm going to wait to see if I get the black screen crash, I will update my results here. I guess mixing two kits could be a problem with first gen Ryzen but I forgot all about it.