Mar 22, 2021
So after a long research and after loads of troubleshooting, I've find no solution to my problem, my issue is my CPU works at 3.50 GHz while I'm using my laptop normally but when I'm in a game it drops to 2.80 (Base speed) and after a couple minutes of playing it suddenly drops to 0.80 GHz for 20-30 seconds and then back up it really never happened before it just started happening like 4 days ago.

I've tried:
Reinstalling Windows
Applying new thermal paste
Cleaning off fans
Reinstalling games
Updating all drivers

Nothing works, I've searched everywhere I just hope someone has a solution for this.

My specs are:
Alienware 17 R4
GTX 1060
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
8 GB RAM

Solution
If you plug in a laptop and the AC adapter can provide enough power, the battery is basically cut off from supplying electricity to the laptop. If the AC adapter does not provide enough power, the laptop either operates in a lower power mode or it starts drawing from the battery to maintain the "plugged in" power performance.

Batteries may not charge fully to 100%, especially if there's some sort of battery care mechanism in place. This is to prevent excessive wear on the battery if you leave it plugged in all the time. Though do note that if you leave it plugged in all the time, this will not cause excessive wear on the battery. Trickle charging doesn't kick in until a small percentage of the battery discharges and even then, the...
So after a long research and after loads of troubleshooting, I've find no solution to my problem, my issue is my CPU works at 3.50 GHz while I'm using my laptop normally but when I'm in a game it drops to 2.80 (Base speed) and after a couple minutes of playing it suddenly drops to 0.80 GHz for 20-30 seconds and then back up it really never happened before it just started happening like 4 days ago.

I've tried:
Reinstalling Windows
Applying new thermal paste
Cleaning off fans
Reinstalling games
Updating all drivers

Nothing works, I've searched everywhere I just hope someone has a solution for this.

My specs are:
Alienware 17 R4
GTX 1060
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
8 GB RAM
Temperatures ?
Charge battery to full and play only with charger attached.
Check Power saving option in Control panel for settings for "When plugged in", Processor state 100%.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How old is that battery?

The purpose of wattage restrictions in laptops isn't just cpu thermals, it's also to a large degree battery thermals. Almost all laptops don't use line voltage to set functionality, they use battery power, so when plugged into the wall, the laptop is still battery powered, and the battery is in a constant state of charge/discharge.

So if you game for several hours, battery levels still will show not full.

But that amount of fast charge/discharge creates a tremendous amount of heat in the battery, and as a battery ages it loses the ability to charge/discharge as efficiently, adding to resistance, and more heat. Get a battery hot enough, there's almost no flow, even if the battery shows fully charged.

That inability to discharge at anything close to rated capacity will kill cpu ability to maintain speeds.

Laptop coolers are designed just with that in mind, cool off the battery, not the cpu. Putting a laptop on your lap or bed has the opposite affect, it doesn't affect the cpu, it affects battery temps, kills performance.

Reactions: CountMike
Mar 22, 2021
How old is that battery?

The purpose of wattage restrictions in laptops isn't just cpu thermals, it's also to a large degree battery thermals. Almost all laptops don't use line voltage to set functionality, they use battery power, so when plugged into the wall, the laptop is still battery powered, and the battery is in a constant state of charge/discharge.

So if you game for several hours, battery levels still will show not full.

But that amount of fast charge/discharge creates a tremendous amount of heat in the battery, and as a battery ages it loses the ability to charge/discharge as efficiently, adding to resistance, and more heat. Get a battery hot enough, there's almost no flow, even if the battery shows fully charged.

That inability to discharge at anything close to rated capacity will kill cpu ability to maintain speeds.

Laptop coolers are designed just with that in mind, cool off the battery, not the cpu. Putting a laptop on your lap or bed has the opposite affect, it doesn't affect the cpu, it affects battery temps, kills performance.

My battery is actually pretty old that it doesn't function properly and because of the discharge instead of buying a new battery I just bought a new AC Adapter which is 240W it stopped discharging after that but should I disconnect my battery and use the Adapter only will that work?
and I also use an external cooling pad

If you plug in a laptop and the AC adapter can provide enough power, the battery is basically cut off from supplying electricity to the laptop. If the AC adapter does not provide enough power, the laptop either operates in a lower power mode or it starts drawing from the battery to maintain the "plugged in" power performance.

Batteries may not charge fully to 100%, especially if there's some sort of battery care mechanism in place. This is to prevent excessive wear on the battery if you leave it plugged in all the time. Though do note that if you leave it plugged in all the time, this will not cause excessive wear on the battery. Trickle charging doesn't kick in until a small percentage of the battery discharges and even then, the charging rate isn't that much (fun fact: the charge rate of batteries decreases as it fills up. You can think of it like needing to stock a warehouse with proper organization, the more you fill it up, the longer it takes to put an item in its proper place).

In any case, while I can't suggest something to fix your problem, I don't think the battery is at fault since it doesn't matter in the equation. The AC adapter maybe an issue, but the only way I can think of testing it is finding some power measuring device (like a Kill-A-Watt) and see what it's doing when you apply a load.

Solution