Question CPU drops below overclock only when playing cs, never goes back up

Nov 30, 2019
Specs:
i7 6700k Overclocked to 4.6ghz
MSI z170a Gaming M3
MSI GTX 2070 SUPER

Ok so basically I boot up my computer after overclocking my cpu to 4.6, Ive run multiple tests to see if the temps are good and the cpu can handle it, and stays fine. I load modern warfare up and my cpu stays at 4.6ghz and runs very smooth 200+ fps. But when I open my CSGO, my ghz drop down to 4.00ghz and does not go up at all, even when I exit the game and do anything else it stays at 4.0 and never goes back up until I reboot. Ive just tinkered around with settings and reset bios settings even to default where it turbo boosts up to 4.4ghz and the same thing would happen and go back down to 4.0 again.

Go into control panel, power options. Make sure the performance profile is selected. That will keep your CPU at full power at all times though so you if you are only having this issue with one game you might want to go into the advanced power options settings and under processor power management make sure the minimum is something like 10% except while playing that specific game. It's just a band aid but setting min AND max to 100% should stop it from dropping.

Nov 30, 2019
Go into control panel, power options. Make sure the performance profile is selected. That will keep your CPU at full power at all times though so you if you are only having this issue with one game you might want to go into the advanced power options settings and under processor power management make sure the minimum is something like 10% except while playing that specific game. It's just a band aid but setting min AND max to 100% should stop it from dropping.
didnt work

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CSGO runs on 2 threads, and is simplistic (mostly) graphics, shouldn't have any issues with that pc hitting @ 300fps in the casual, stock maps. It's also not all that cpu heavy, it's an old game and the basic game code hasn't been updated/fixed since the beginning, no need to, so you'd be looking at 2nd/3rd gen needs for decent fps, I can hit 300fps in office on a 4.6GHz i7-3770K and gtx970 at max settings.

There's nothing I know of or have heard of in that game that has anything to do with clock speed regulation or capping, whether it be fps or cpu speeds, so it's not game specific related from my point of view, but an outside setting. Could be an ini file added by Steam, you'll have to check on its settings, as Steam stays enabled even after CSGO is stopped. See if exiting Steam entirely (make sure it's fully shutdown, bootstrap and all, in processes/services in task manager) after shutting down CSGO changes anything.