Question CPU drops from 75% to 40% and does not go up ?

Jul 26, 2021
Ok this is my problem: I am playing fifa at about 140 fps, my gpu is at 90-97% while my cpu 70-85% but when I minimize the game and return my gpu goes up to 100% while my cpu goes down to 45% and does not go up more than that which causes my fps to go down to 30 max 40. This also happens to me when I play gta v but it does not happen to me when minimizing, it happens when I enter my garage or have been playing for a while

There are also times that it returns to normal but later the error returns. I tried it with overwatch and there it does not happen , I have to say that the gta and fifa are on the hdd while overwatch is on the ssd.
i3-9100F

Last edited:
Ok this is my problem: I am playing fifa at about 140 fps, my gpu is at 90-97% while my cpu 70-85% but when I minimize the game and return my gpu goes up to 100% while my cpu goes down to 45% and does not go up more than that which causes my fps to go down to 30 max 40. This also happens to me when I play gta v but it does not happen to me when minimizing, it happens when I enter my garage or have been playing for a while

There are also times that it returns to normal but later the error returns. I tried it with overwatch and there it does not happen , I have to say that the gta and fifa are on the hdd while overwatch is on the ssd.
i3-9100F

This is annoying to do but, when you get this "error" you could try to go to your game graphic settings and set it to windowed screen and then back to fullscreen and see if that "fix" the issue.

How old is the OS installation? Cause if you know how, another thing to do is make a fresh clean install of Windows + drivers + games (you can backup steam games if you don't want to download them all: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
This is annoying to do but, when you get this "error" you could try to go to your game graphic settings and set it to windowed screen and then back to fullscreen and see if that "fix" the issue.

How old is the OS installation? Cause if you know how, another thing to do is make a fresh clean install of Windows + drivers + games (you can backup steam games if you don't want to download them all: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033).
I tried that at the beginning and it worked 1 only time but now nothing.
i reinstall windows about 8 months ago, If I do not find a solution I will end up doing that

A few things you can try:

1. If you haven't yet, try using DDU and install new drivers for the GPU. Also check if theres new chipset or CPU drivers for your i3 9100.

2. If theres enough room, try to install Fifa or GTA V on the SSD and see what it happends.

3. The last thing that comes to my mind is trying borderless fullscreen mode, not all gamnes have it but it may help with your issue.

Last edited:
I think you look at the problem from wrong side.
Cpu is not to blame as it seems it have spare power, if cpu lags, it reports 100% even if it's using 10% of it.
I suspect either driver issue with Nvidia and clean reinstall (LINK) migth help, but looking at EA forums all fifa's from 17/18/19/20 had those issues with different outcomes.
I suspect alt+enter -> alt+tab would not cause this, (alt+enter would make from full-screen to winowed) but you seek hardware solution where issue is inside the game alone.

Looking at what forums recomend, best thing you can do is to switch from full screen to borderless
and use software like this:
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming
it will make borderless window behave like fullscreen. Not perfect, but its EAbugs stuff, be happy that it not rebooting your whole windows when you minimize (they fixed it).

Jul 26, 2021

1. If you haven't yet, try using DDU and install new drivers for the GPU. Also check if theres no new chipset or CPU drivers for your i3 9100.

2. If theres enough room, try to install Fifa or GTA V on the SSD and see what it happends.

3. The last thing that comes to my mind is trying borderless fullscreen mode, not all gamnes have it but it may help with your issue.
I have all the latest drivers, I installed the fifa in the ssd and the error still happened and finally I tried the borderless fullscreen mode and it did not work for me

Jul 26, 2021

1. If you haven't yet, try using DDU and install new drivers for the GPU. Also check if theres no new chipset or CPU drivers for your i3 9100.

I had read wrong, I did what you told me to remove the drivers and install them again and it worked for me for now: D I will notify you if the problem returns

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 26, 2021
I think you look at the problem from wrong side.
Cpu is not to blame as it seems it have spare power, if cpu lags, it reports 100% even if it's using 10% of it.
I suspect either driver issue with Nvidia and clean reinstall (LINK) migth help, but looking at EA forums all fifa's from 17/18/19/20 had those issues with different outcomes.
I suspect alt+enter -> alt+tab would not cause this, (alt+enter would make from full-screen to winowed) but you seek hardware solution where issue is inside the game alone.

Looking at what forums recomend, best thing you can do is to switch from full screen to borderless
and use software like this:
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming
it will make borderless window behave like fullscreen. Not perfect, but its EAbugs stuff, be happy that it not rebooting your whole windows when you minimize (they fixed it).
as I responded to one above reinstalling the drivers for now has worked anyway thanks: D

Jul 26, 2021

1. If you haven't yet, try using DDU and install new drivers for the GPU. Also check if theres new chipset or CPU drivers for your i3 9100.

update: the error reappeared but when reinstalling drivers it was solved, I also realized that there are times when it is good it gives me stuttering