CPU eating up bandwidth

damon667

Reputable
May 19, 2014
My ISP discovered today the source of my slow download speeds. They said I had a runaway CPU that was leaving ports open? They gave me no help on how to fix it though...

I can recreate the problem by going to twitch.tv and loading up a vod. After awhile my DL speeds go from 30 to eventually 5. Restarting the router or the computer fixes it ofcourse. The way they pinpointed the issue btw was hooking up another PC to the router and then recreating the problem and turning off my PC. The other PC's speeds went up instantly.

Solution
Agred, some people use "cpu" to incorrectly refer to the comptuer as a whole, and not just the processor.

You should also check for infections on your computer with malwarebytes.

damon667

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Nope, clearing the cache doesn't help. Only restarting the PC or modem is doing anything. I've been going to the control panel and just turning the network on and off too, that seems to be fastest way to fix it.

damon667

Reputable
May 19, 2014

No infections. I do agree I was confused when he said it too. He also reiterated "run away processor" said it was leaving ports open. I feel like the information got passed along wrong between the supervisor and the technician or something.

If you're referring to the thread only a moderator can close it. However it's solved so you probably won't get many more responses and it will just disappear.

Just thought I'd throw something out there if the issue isn't completely fixed yet: Ensure that you don't have any automatic motherboard tools that claim to prioritise your internet usage, they tend to just throttle things (ASUS' AiSuite has an awful one).

damon667

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Yeah no my problem isn't fixed I just picked a solution to close it. Wrong section for this really..Also no I do not have any tools like that.