Question CPU either overheating or underclocking

Jan 17, 2020
First off, I'm not an expert when it comes to this sort of stuff so forgive me for not being too knowledgeable.

So I bought a cheap gaming laptop (HP Pavilion Gaming 15) and I'm having heat issues, which is not surprising. It has a Ryzen 5 3550h and I've seen it hit an alarming 97c during video rendering! After some digging I realized the problem is the CPU is turbo boosting. It has a 2.1 GHz base clock but it turbos up to 3.7 GHz, which is when it starts to fry itself.

All of this seems reasonable with the poor cooling of a gaming laptop, but here's the problem. When I set the maximum process state to 99 percent in power management to prevent turbo boosting it throttles to 1.7 GHz and will not exceed that clock speed.

I can accept that I won't be able to take advantage of turbo boost, I wasn't even planning to when I bought the thing, but I'd certainly like to utilize the full 2.1 GHz base clock that the CPU is supposed to have.

Edit: Just want to add that the CPU is absolutely fine at idle. It typically idles around 40c.

Full specs:
Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
Ryzen 5 Mobile 3550h
Geforce GTX 1050
2x8gb Ram (2400)
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

2xOldoN.jpg

Last edited: