[SOLVED] CPU Extremely hot after application of new thermal paste

Apr 23, 2020
Hi,

I applied new thermal paste as my gaming PC is around 3 years old and the CPU temperature was climbing to around 85 degrees, so I thought new thermal paste would fix that. It didn't, making it run even hotter at around 90 to 100 degrees whenever I boot up a game. I'ts liquid cooled too, I have the corsair h115i pro. The liquid cooler is all running fine by what I can tell and so is everything else, I just have no idea what I have done to cause this or to why it is so hot. My specs are

CPU: i7 8700k
Cooler: Corsair h115i 280mm
GPU: GTX 1080
Motherboard: ASUS Z730-F
RAM: 16GB
PSU: 650W

Any suggestions or fixed any of you have found would be much appreciated, thank you.

Solution
Problem solved, it was the corsair water pump. My new coolermaster is doing a way better job, I believe it was faulty all along because this liquid cooler now is running oc less. Thanks for the advice guys and I'll be sending the faulty pump back to corsair as it falls under 5 year manufacturer warranty. Best wishes everyone!!
Hi,

I applied new thermal paste as my gaming PC is around 3 years old and the CPU temperature was climbing to around 85 degrees, so I thought new thermal paste would fix that. It didn't, making it run even hotter at around 90 to 100 degrees whenever I boot up a game. I'ts liquid cooled too, I have the corsair h115i pro. The liquid cooler is all running fine by what I can tell and so is everything else, I just have no idea what I have done to cause this or to why it is so hot. My specs are

CPU: i7 8700k
Cooler: Corsair h115i 280mm
GPU: GTX 1080
Motherboard: ASUS Z730-F
RAM: 16GB
PSU: 650W

Any suggestions or fixed any of you have found would be much appreciated, thank you.
I suggest you review and redo your cooling, that cooler should cool it much better than that,

Apr 23, 2020
Done the pea paste, icue is running the cooler fine, and my fans are running smooth. It all happened when I changed the paste and I'm literally mind boggled as to why. The paste is coolermaster compound or something like that.

Apr 23, 2020
Nope not hung up on anything screws holding down the waterblock are even and justlile they were before I changed thermak paste. Could I have maybe broken the heatsink by any chance? Thats all I can really think of right now, or the liquid pipes.

gondo

Distinguished
Don't get too hung up on paste. You can put none and it'll still work. it's only there to fill any microscopic pores and unevenness. What you need is good contact and pressure from the heatsink mounting. Better paste and application is better than none, but that doesn't mean having none will break your cooling and cause overheating.

As for cooling that comes from the radiator. Make sure you have no dust on the intake air cooling that radiator. Clean your case filters if you have them. Next would be to make sure the radiator fans are running at full speed.

If all else fails and your temps are way higher than before, then I would suspect water flow. You may have blockage. Since you have an AIO you can't drain and bleed the system. You can remove the cooler and rotate it around a bit and reinstall. It's worked with others who had the same problem as you. It's either a blockage/water flow or mounting issue.

If it's blockage and it's under warranty go for an RMA. In the meantime you can slap the Intel heatsink on to keep your system going.

Last edited:

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Don't get too hung up on paste. You can put none and it'll still work. it's only there to fill any microscopic pores and unevenness. What you need is good contact and pressure from the heatsink mounting. Better paste and application is better than none, but that doesn't mean having none will break your cooling and cause overheating.

As for cooling that comes from the radiator. Make sure you have no dust on the intake air cooling that radiator. Clean your case filters if you have them. Next would be to make sure the radiator fans are running at full speed.

If all else fails and your temps are way higher than before, then I would suspect water flow. You may have blockage. Since you have an AIO you can't drain and bleed the system. You can remove the cooler and rotate it around a bit and reinstall. It's worked with others who had the same problem as you. It's wither a blockage/water flow or mounting issue.

If it's blockage and it's under warranty go for an RMA. In the meantime you can slap the Intel heatsink on to keep your system going.
I would check the plate that attaches to the CPU for warping. blocked flow is also a possibility - most likely in the rads.

Reactions: Draeywor
Apr 23, 2020
Checked for warps and no luck, I have a feeling the pump has just died or the liquid cooler itself is damaged internally when i messed around with it before. Im going to take a risk and buy another cooler (one what i will aslo use later on). The kraken x42, hopefully that fixes the issue, if not then this cooler is fine and I wasted $150. Well I'll update when thays done, thanks again.

Apr 23, 2020
Problem solved, it was the corsair water pump. My new coolermaster is doing a way better job, I believe it was faulty all along because this liquid cooler now is running oc less. Thanks for the advice guys and I'll be sending the faulty pump back to corsair as it falls under 5 year manufacturer warranty. Best wishes everyone!!

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I doubt it was actually the pump, it was more likely that there was an airlock in the cooler...tapping the coolant lines and tilting and rocking the cooler itself can often alleviate this issue.

Airlocks are common for AIOs since they are never 100% filled with coolant. When these air bubbles are pulled into coolant lines to the pump, these pumps cannot displace air, causing the coolant flow to halt.