[SOLVED] CPU fail

Apr 26, 2020
I ordered a new CPU cooler and I went to install it, I took the cpu out and cleaned off the old thermal paste with alcohol and put it back in and was going to put the new cpu cooler on but realized i didn't have the correct bracket i needed so i just put my old cooler back on and everything back the way it was and now nothing happens when i hit the power button. Nothing comes on at all. Does a cpu failure keep the pc from turning on at all? Or is it possibly something else I screwed up?

Yes, a cpu that isn't seated right will prevent anything from happening.

I would turn off the power and disconnect the plug and then carefully and slowly disassemble and reassemble everything. Take your time. It should start up as long as you didn't damage anything.

Apr 26, 2020
Yes, a cpu that isn't seated right will prevent anything from happening.

I would turn off the power and disconnect the plug and then carefully and slowly disassemble and reassemble everything. Take your time. It should start up as long as you didn't damage anything.
I completely disassembled and reassembled everything and still nothing :/

namct0301

Commendable
Sep 12, 2017
Given your testing the video card, trying a known good PSU, etc, the MB is the 90-95% chance culprit remaining (I estimate only 5-10% chance of cpu being the culprit), barring overzealous application of Arctic Silver onto cpu legs/contacts anyway

I ordered a new CPU cooler and I went to install it, I took the cpu out and cleaned off the old thermal paste with alcohol and put it back in and was going to put the new cpu cooler on but realized i didn't have the correct bracket i needed so i just put my old cooler back on and everything back the way it was and now nothing happens when i hit the power button. Nothing comes on at all. Does a cpu failure keep the pc from turning on at all? Or is it possibly something else I screwed up?
Did you remove the CPU or just the cooler. Maybe you bent some of the pins?