Question CPU failing to boot with new RAM

Jul 24, 2019
Good morning, I'm experiencing a problem after installing new RAM. It's an older custom built PC and after installing the latest version of Windows 10, I needed to upgrade the 6GB DDR3 (3x2GB) because the upgrade slowed PC down quite a bit.

After reading the specs on my MB and due to the cost of the DDR3, I ended up purchasing 3 - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHZ to use all DIMM slots to reach the maximum allowance of memory (24GB). This was going to be a short-term fix until my new PC is built.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-940
MB: EVGA X58 SLI - Screenshot of installation instructions --> DIMM Installation
Memory: Corsair CMY8GX3M2A16000C9A Vengence Pro Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHZ

Problem:
After installing memory (using all DIMM slots), the motherboard loops 68, 69, F3 on the digital readout and will not reach BIOS. I began testing all memory and then tried adding each stick one at a time. Once I reach 4x4GB, the loop (68, 69, F3 begins). Once I remove the 4th stick (same as old configuration), the PC boots fine showing 12GB of memory installed.

Do I need to change anything in the BIOS prior to using more DIMM slots than previously used? I appreciate anyone willing to offer some assistance. Thanks!

Jul 24, 2019
Thanks for that link! If the memory doesn't support MB, is it common for it to work (up to a point)? Like I said, the memory works great up to 3 DIMM slots being use (12GB). I shouldn't be complaining because it doubles the memory I had and the speed has improved dramatically. Thanks for the response!

If the memory doesn't support MB, is it common for it to work (up to a point)?
No. Most of time the PC will not boot, but somehow the PC can boot. So you may try to tweak the timing with 4 or even with all, like lower the speed to 1333mhz manual in the BIOS memory section, or between 1333mhz and 1600mhz, then try boot the PC to see what happens.

Jul 24, 2019
Weird. BIOS is set to "AUTO" for memory frequency so it automatically caps to the maximum supported frequency so it works fine without lowering it manually.

I just think it's odd that the 12GB of memory works perfectly but won't boot with anything more than 12GB. No worries, the added memory was only a temporary fix until I get all my new components and build the new PC. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

TRENDING THREADS