CPU failure? PSU failure?

timovertim

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
tl;dr: CPU fan stopped working all other fans work. Mobo appears to be working as normal, no beeps or any weird noises.

Hello everyone, thanks for reading. I have had my computer for about 5 years. Spontaneously my computer developed these extremely weird graphics bugs and the monitor then went black

I restart and it goes to bios, starts loading into windows with these weird graphics bugs and then goes black (doesnt shut off)

I opened up my computer and noticed my cpu fan wasnt running, however my other fans were for GPU etc
Basically I see no evidence of leaking capacitors on the mobo so I think I can rule that out..

I tried attaching one of my peripheral fans to the heatsink and it wont operate normally. thermal paste is still applied, possible that my CPU received some permanent damage after the fan stopped working from overheating? Only thing that throws me off is it still boots into bios with the graphic glitches and starts loading into windows for a second before the monitor turns off (computer continues to run though)

So basically I am trying to determine if the CPU has received permanent damage due to the fan not working anymore, or is my fan not running and my computer being weird due to a faulty PSU? Or something completely different. What do you guys think?

i5 2500 cpu
p67 extreme gen3 mobo
nvidia 560 gtx
corsair cx600 PSU

http://i63.tinypic.com/315cwom.jpg
Heres a picture

Solution
can you replace the fan/move a case fan/anything to temporarily get cooling to the CPU?
if you can affix some temporary solution for cooling then you can remove the GPU and boot to the iGPU on the CPU see if the artifacts appear on a different graphics chip. this can also serve to test the CPU for basic functionality but only when cooled somehow.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no beeps? did it, at one time, give the single beep at boot up and is not doing that, or has it never beeped?
is the CPU fan header broken/faulty? do any other fan headers work?
graphics artifacts during the BIOS are typically GPU hardware related. try removing the GPU and attempt a boot with the onboard intel GPU only after CPU cooling is sorted.

possible damage, yes. also possible the motherboard may be thermally shutting the unit to prevent damage.
remove the CPU from the system and attempt to boot. the system should spit out a beep code. no CPU, no RAM, these beep codes are easy to induce and can serve test the motherboard to a degree. if the speaker is connected to the motherboard and the CPU is removed the system will beep at you if the motherboard is functional.

timovertim

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi thabks for responsing, when I take out components the mobo starts to beep, so in that aspect its working. CPU fan header looks normal. all other fans (6) in computer work normally.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
can you replace the fan/move a case fan/anything to temporarily get cooling to the CPU?
if you can affix some temporary solution for cooling then you can remove the GPU and boot to the iGPU on the CPU see if the artifacts appear on a different graphics chip. this can also serve to test the CPU for basic functionality but only when cooled somehow.

Solution