[SOLVED] CPU fan absurdly loud

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey everyone. I recently bought a used combo that included a motherboard, i5-2400, a cooler, and 4gb ram. So I took the ram out and replaced it with 8gb, and threw a GTX 650 TI in there so I could see if it boots up.
I got it to get into the BIOS, but the CPU fan is crazy loud. It sounds like a helicopter taking off in my room. I couldn’t find a setting in the BIOS to adjust fan speed. Anyone know how I’d fix this?

Solution
Exactly. Wires are backwards.

What you'll have to do is use something like a mechanical pencil and push down on the spring in the little slot on the back of the connector. Then slide the pin out. When all 4 are out, line them up exactly like the original wiring.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
@Insane Potatoz
Really hard to say. Is the fan spinning so fast because the CPU is running hot or maybe is it locked at full speed by BIOS for some reason. Or could it be the fan bearings are shot and not running fast, but it sure sounds like it. It would be nice to know the motherboard model number, CPU temp, Fan RPM, etc.
Not sure of fan RPM. Doesn't show in BIOS
I've tried 3 different fans on this CPU.
Not sure of CPU temp either. It's for a PC flip and I'm waiting on the drive to arrive so I can download windows on it and maybe look at stuff from there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-0GDG8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648
This is the exact thing I bought except I replaced the RAM with 8gb

Alright I'll get back to you guys when I get the hard drive and windows installed. CPU fans have never been loud when I'm in bios before so that's why I'm worried.
Hard drive should get here on monday
So it's a Dell motherboard. OEM motherboards are notorious for lack of options (keep it simple for the masses). That's how it is and I'm sorta ok with that. Yes, booting into an OS might bring the fan speed down. We will see ... let us know.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Ahh, have to be careful with Dell motherboards. They are proprietary and some motherboards are wired backwards, to try and prevent upgrades from non Dell sources.

Reason why you can't see speed is its probably not hooked up right, wires are crossed. You'll need to verify against the original or use a multimeter to test thoroughly.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Optiplex-3010-MT-120mm-fan/td-p/6127118
This has a standard 4 pin connector. And the fan that came with the motherboard does the same thing.
Here's the link to what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-0GDG8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648
You can see it has standard 4 pin connector for the CPU and 2 3 pins for case fans (Which are occupied)

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Maybe so, but it depends on the placement of the wires, not the actual connector, as shown by that 3pin wire picture. The 12v wire and tach wire are backwards to what universal aftermarket wires use.
hmm. Well the fan that came with it does the same thing.
Here's the wire colors from left to right
On the fan i'm using now: Black - Red - Yellow - Blue
On the fan that came with the board: Blue - Yellow - Red - Black
And both of them had the same issue... at least in the BIOS. I haven't tried the one that came with the board in windows...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly. Wires are backwards.

What you'll have to do is use something like a mechanical pencil and push down on the spring in the little slot on the back of the connector. Then slide the pin out. When all 4 are out, line them up exactly like the original wiring.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Standard pinout would be black-yellow-orange-blue, that's ground-12v-tach-pwm.

Thats what's on any of the new fans. That's what needs to be changed or swapped to match the original factory Dell fan, so the connector sits correctly and the wires line up with what they need to be, ground to ground, 12v to 12v etc.

Dell does some funky stuff, it makes sense to them even if it doesn't to us.

Last edited:

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Okay new problem lol. I guess this could just be me being dumb but I don't think so.
So I went to stress test the CPU and it got really hot. I so into SpeedFan and notice that the fan is only at 50% speed. Long story short, my fan curves won't work. Also, the fan is either really loud or too slow.
If i set the Speed to 66% or lower, it'll be 700-800 rpm no matter what. When it's set to 67% or more it'll be 3000+ rpm no matter what. This is enough to cool the CPU but it's loud and obnoxious. Do you know ow any way to fix this?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll probably need to dig into those fan curves custom settings, there's like 3 places in SpeedFan that have anything to do with that.

A pwm fan should respond to pwm signals, which on those fans is usually like @ 30% to 100%. If it's responding to voltage settings instead, 7vDC is @ 60%.

I haven't messed with SpeedFan in almost 7 years, the learning curve and placements of everything was just crazy. It's called SpeedFan, yet the damned thing is anything but simple. It's almost like there's no middle ground, it's either max or minimum.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
You'll probably need to dig into those fan curves custom settings, there's like 3 places in SpeedFan that have anything to do with that.

A pwm fan should respond to pwm signals, which on those fans is usually like @ 30% to 100%. If it's responding to voltage settings instead, 7vDC is @ 60%.

I haven't messed with SpeedFan in almost 7 years, the learning curve and placements of everything was just crazy. It's called SpeedFan, yet the damned thing is anything but simple. It's almost like there's no middle ground, it's either max or minimum.
Huh. How do I know if it’s responding to PWM or voltage?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If the pwm wire is actually in the pwm pin now, you should be able to set in bios between pwm/auto/voltage for the headers. So if everything lines up as should according to the Dell factory wiring (yes, Dell is a pain) and the header is set for pwm, the fan should be responding to pwm signals. Same for voltage. Usually a dead giveaway will be a fan that is still responsive below @ 40% of its rpm range, DC are a minimum of 5v (out of 12v 100%)

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
If the pwm wire is actually in the pwm pin now, you should be able to set in bios between pwm/auto/voltage for the headers. So if everything lines up as should according to the Dell factory wiring (yes, Dell is a pain) and the header is set for pwm, the fan should be responding to pwm signals. Same for voltage. Usually a dead giveaway will be a fan that is still responsive below @ 40% of its rpm range, DC are a minimum of 5v (out of 12v 100%)
I can’t find anything in the BIOS. what section would it be under?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
So hey sorry for coming back to this, but the problem is still there.
I'm gonna call the black yellow green blue pinout the "green pinout" and the other one the red pinout.

So the red pinout is the one used for Dell machines right? I have a fan with the red pinout but it still has this problem.
Should i try a green pinout fan? or will that damage the fan/motherboard?