[SOLVED] CPU Fan Acting Odd

qhobbes

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
Hey!

I built my wife a computer a few weeks ago and everything has been great except for one odd issue. Sometimes the CPU fan will stop turning when the CPU is cool. No worries (I thought) because HWINFO64 shows that the temps are low (about 28C). The issue is that after it stops it does not want to start back up. In fact, it makes some weird, high-pitched sound as if it wants to start but it cannot. It will continue to make this whine and the fan will not turn until we restart the computer.

This alone is not normal but the really weird thing is that I happened to check HWINFO64 when this happened once and it said that the CPU fan is running at 67,500 RPM! Obviously something is wrong. Any ideas?

i7-9700k
be quiet! Dark Rock 4
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
32GB Corsair Vengeance
GTX 1080 Ti
EVGA 750w GA 80 Plus Gold

Solution
Hey!

I built my wife a computer a few weeks ago and everything has been great except for one odd issue. Sometimes the CPU fan will stop turning when the CPU is cool. No worries (I thought) because HWINFO64 shows that the temps are low (about 28C). The issue is that after it stops it does not want to start back up. In fact, it makes some weird, high-pitched sound as if it wants to start but it cannot. It will continue to make this whine and the fan will not turn until we restart the computer.

This alone is not normal but the really weird thing is that I happened to check HWINFO64 when this happened once and it said that the CPU fan is running at 67,500 RPM! Obviously something is wrong. Any ideas?

i7-9700k
be quiet! Dark...
Hey!

i7-9700k
be quiet! Dark Rock 4
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
32GB Corsair Vengeance
GTX 1080 Ti
EVGA 750w GA 80 Plus Gold
Set fan curve manually in BIOS, let it go to 50% at coolest temps.

Solution