Question Cpu fan briefly spins then stops, not posting

Oct 9, 2019
Hi there, i know this isn't what this sub is intended for but just wondering if anyone can help me out

I just upgraded my PC's GPU, CPU and PSU. after installing what was needed on my motherboard i booted it up outside the case on a box like usual, all mobo lights work and i can power the system on but the cpu fan will only spin about 1 revolution then stop, it won't post either as i get no monitor display, i have triple checked everything is plugged in and in the right locations.

I am thinking i may have damaged the mobo somehow in this process, or could it be a bad cpu or something? I tried with the old PSU and same problem occurs so it's not the PSU

Specs:
Rtx 2080 super
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus B450-I gaming mobo
2x 16gb T-force RAM @3600Mhz
Cooler master V850 Gold PSU

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what's happened or how i can test them.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2019
Hi there, i know this isn't what this sub is intended for but just wondering if anyone can help me out

I just upgraded my PC's GPU, CPU and PSU. after installing what was needed on my motherboard i booted it up outside the case on a box like usual, all mobo lights work and i can power the system on but the cpu fan will only spin about 1 revolution then stop, it won't post either as i get no monitor display, i have triple checked everything is plugged in and in the right locations.

I am thinking i may have damaged the mobo somehow in this process, or could it be a bad cpu or something? I tried with the old PSU and same problem occurs so it's not the PSU

Specs:
Rtx 2080 super
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus B450-I gaming mobo
2x 16gb T-force RAM @3600Mhz
Cooler master V850 Gold PSU

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what's happened or how i can test them.

Thanks!
To Jakesatsteak, I am new to Tom's Hardware Forum, so bear with me as I am doing this. Do you have a final resolution to your problem? My home built computer of many years has recently given me a few problems. My current problem has the exact same symptoms that you have, except for the fact that I was upgrading my RAM to a higher amount. Prior to this, I replaced my power supply with a Corsair Power supply, and my computer was working, until I decided to upgrade my RAM. I had slighly different symptoms, when I replaced the power supply last week. I have an Asus P5Q motherboard. I ordered a bios chip from ebay for my computer for this current problem, that looks the same as yours. I was just taking a guess, when I ordered the bios chip last night . I am looking forward to your reply!

Oct 22, 2019
In reference to my problem with my computer as stated on 10-22-19, I received the bios chip and installed it. This did not work. My next step will be to check for problems with my CPU and motherboard. I was trying to upgrade my ram & add extra ram, when this happened. The computer was running for a while & suddenly stopped working. My computer CPU fan & case fans will spin for a minimal amount of revolutions and then stop. My computer will not POST. I have to turn the power off and on for my computer, in order to repeat the minimal amount of fan revolutions & no POST.

USAFRet

Titan
In reference to my problem with my computer as stated on 10-22-19, I received the bios chip and installed it. This did not work. My next step will be to check for problems with my CPU and motherboard. I was trying to upgrade my ram & add extra ram, when this happened. The computer was running for a while & suddenly stopped working. My computer CPU fan & case fans will spin for a minimal amount of revolutions and then stop. My computer will not POST. I have to turn the power off and on for my computer, in order to repeat the minimal amount of fan revolutions & no POST.
Please start a new thread for your particular situation.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS