• Start date
D

Deleted member 1495559

Hi,

I have the following desktop build:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Mobo: Asus Rog Strix Z370-E
Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

The CPU is attached near the top of the motherboard, and the two fans for the CPU cooler are fixed to the top panel of the case.

Today I received a second SSD (samsung 970 evo 1tb) to add to my computer, and opened my case and plugged it into the second M.2 slot on the motherboard. This slot is near the bottom of the motherboard, around 80% down.

Once I restarted my computer I got an error on the BIOS screen saying 'CPU Fan Error'. The two CPU fans are still spinning, but in the BIOS it does not detect them as spinning. The CPU also overheats, so it is not being cooled.

I took the new SSD out and the problem still persists. I unplugged and reconnected the fan header cables from my motherboard, and also the USB cable that connects the fans to the black cooling box that sits on top of the CPU on the motherboard. And yet the same problem: fans spinning, motherboard does not detect the RPM, and the CPU overheats.

I spoke to a member of my manufacturer's support team and he said he suspects a cooler failure and they'll have to RMA it, meaning I wouldn't get it back until late next week. The computer and all parts are only around 6 months old, so I find it unlikely that the cooler failed already. Also seems too big a coincidence that the cooler failed on the same day that I installed my new SSD.

Can anyone suggest things I could try myself to avoid the hassle of an RMA? And potential causes for this that could have been triggered by me installing a new SSD?

Thanks!

Solution
Not difficult, the fans and radiator will be screwed to the chassis. The pump/cooler will be attached to a backplate (retention bracket). Should just be the four screws around the CPU to get it off.

Corsair will have RMA instructions that you need to follow. They will tell what to send and where.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/warranty

Please follow these steps to obtain an RMA number:

For end user customers, submit an RMA# request online at: http://support.corsair.com/

A valid proof of purchase is required for RMA processing (i.e. receipt, invoice, copy of credit card statement).
To request an Express or Advanced RMA, a valid credit card must be provided to secure the new replacement unit for shipping prior to...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably just a coincidence.

A lot of evidence pointing to premature pump failure. Overheating and getting no RPM signal from the pump is not a good sign.

Go ahead and do the RMA. If you want to be up and running, buy yourself a cheap $25 air cooler. Always good to have a spare around for just such situations.

Lutfij

Titan
I think you will need to undergo the RMA as the issue, to me, seems like it's a motherboard failure.

Regardless, you can try and see if your motherboard has a BIOS update pending. Usually issues like these are resolved with a BIOS update provided there is nothing wrong with the board in itself.

It'd help us all if we knew of your entire system's specs. List them like so:
CPU+CPU Cooler: +Corsair H100i V2
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z370-E
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Seems like the computer still works, just the CPU overheats, so I doubt it is the motherboard.

ESD (Electro-Static-Discharge) might be the culprit. Though I don't quite see why the CPU cooler would be sensitive and not the rest of the system. It could have just been the power cycle combined with you moving the system around to install the drive. If the cooler stopped on an air bubble and fired up it may have burnt its bearing out in fairly short order (the fluid is part of the bearing system, they can't run dry for long)

Or it had already failed but was still working while it was running, turning it off let the pump get the impeller out of alignment or something.

Likely, your cooler electronics failed.
Go ahead and RMA the unit.
You have 175mm available for a good air cooler.
You could buy a simple tower type air cooler for $35 or so that will perform better than you think.
Me, I would buy a great air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s instead.
When the rma cooler returns, do not open it and sell it.

D

Deleted member 1495559

Hi,

Thanks. You mentioned you think it is the motherboard failure, not necessarily the cooler unit itself? So RMAing just the cooler unit wouldn't be enough - I should RMA the entire tower?

Here are my specs:

CPU+CPU Cooler: i7-8700k +Corsair H100i V2
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z370-E
Ram: 2x8gb corsair ddr4
SSD/HDD: 500gb samsung evo NVME (boot drive), 256gb samsung sata ssd, 6tb hdd
GPU: 1050 ti
PSU: corsair 850W gold
Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass

D

Deleted member 1495559

Thanks. I thought I would have to RMA the whole tower, did not think that I could just detach and send the cooler off. is it fairly straightforward to do that?

I have an intel i7-8700k processor - it isn't OC'd but it runs under high load quite a bit. would the NH-D15s still work, and not be too noisy? (and fit in my case too)

D

Deleted member 1495559

yeah, the computer works fine, I can even log in and use it as normal (although I turned it off after logging in).

however, none of your options sound like something I could fix at home. so I could just RMA the cooling unit and not the rest of the system? how tough is it to detach the cooling unit?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not difficult, the fans and radiator will be screwed to the chassis. The pump/cooler will be attached to a backplate (retention bracket). Should just be the four screws around the CPU to get it off.

Corsair will have RMA instructions that you need to follow. They will tell what to send and where.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/warranty

Please follow these steps to obtain an RMA number:

For end user customers, submit an RMA# request online at: http://support.corsair.com/

A valid proof of purchase is required for RMA processing (i.e. receipt, invoice, copy of credit card statement).
To request an Express or Advanced RMA, a valid credit card must be provided to secure the new replacement unit for shipping prior to CORSAIR receiving the defective unit.

For business to business (B2B) / Direct customers of CORSAIR: complete the RMA request form and return it to rmaservice@corsair.com

RMA credit value is based on the current published price list or lowest invoice value within 90 days of the day of the claim, whichever is lower

Solution