Question CPU fan error. Monitoring disabled. Working CPU header.

HughMitch

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Hi,
Came back after a year away from home and booted my desktop. I got a CPU Fan Error message although the CPU fans are spinning. The computer then auto-shutdown. After some research i tried using a different, working, fan connected to the CPU header. Same problem. I also disabled CPU fan monitoring in the BIOS with no effect. I get about 12 seconds of boot to troubleshoot issues in the bios before the computer auto shuts down. I have to wait until everything has cooled down before i can try again.

I am at a loss as to what the issue is. My CPU header is working and I have disabled monitoring, but I still can't get past POST.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you.

My specs:
ASUS sabertooth 990X R2.0
AMD FX8350 4.0GHz cpu black edition (no overclocking)
AMD Radeon R9 270X
16GB corsair RAM
Corsair H100i CPU water cooler with 4 fan radiator
XFX 750W psu

HughMitch

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Good thought!
I replaced the Thermal paste and the 'CPU fan error' did not show on boot. However, when I got to the Windows 10 login i had about 3 seconds before it auto-shutdown again. The CPU fans were much quieter this time around though.

Could it be that my heatsink is too tight and is squashing out the thermal paste once I tighten it down onto the CPU?

I restarted and checked the temps in the BIOS. Started around 35C but quite quickly rose to 52C at which point it auto-shutdown. Normal temps for my computer are between 40-45*C. Perhaps it is still overheating.

Is it possible that the H100i pump is not working? (would this show as a CPU fan error?)

What else would cause a shutdown like this?

thanks,

Last edited: