CPU FAN ERROR with Intel Stock Fan (uncommon)

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
So i searched everywhere on forums and google, and couldn't find the answer.

I just build a brand new pc, using asus prime b250- plus mb and i3 7100 with intel stock fan (manufacturer is FOXCONN), PSU Aerocool KCAS 500W.

The problem: is that cpu fan error on every cold boot, never on restart. CPU temps are below 30C on cold boot, around 40-45 after a little gaming. BIOS is detecting the fan and temps etc, I can control the fan speed by using q-fan feature.

The weird thing: is that cpu fan is NOT starting correctly, it's delayed, tries to spin 1-2 times and only then it starts to spin normally, but my motherboard is showing FAN ERROR (and it's actually correct since fan isn't spinning), but then cpu fan is already working just after this error message.

I really have no idea, why CPU fan takes THAT long to spin so motherboard is reporting the error.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. BIOS is updated.

P.P.S. Lowest speed of a fan is already set to 200rpm.

P.P.S. Found a thread on intel forums, that only Nidec had the same behaviour, but OP didn't mention anything about CPU Fan Error.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/103789

Solution

Definitely it is not a motherboard problem - if it was, the fan would not work properly later too. It is either the problem with fan itself or its settings.
Technically your MB is correct - when it checks if the fan is spinning, it is not, so the error is valid.
One possible explanation is the fan settings are set too low on lowest temps - try increasing minimum speed and see if that changes anything.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018

You mean that 200rpm, 300rpm, etc, is not the lowest possible speed but minimum allowed speed?

I don't know what is minimum speed for that stock fan, but I know such minimum exists for each fan. If you set the speed below this minimum, the fan will simply stop.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018

I asked intel about this, they couldn't tell me the fan specs either.

And I'm actually confused about this bios setting (200rpm 300rpm 500rpm) is it minimum allowed speed at pc start or lowest possible speed at all?

I already bought another cooler to check if this is a faulty stock fan, I only wish this is not my motherboard,

Definitely it is not a motherboard problem - if it was, the fan would not work properly later too. It is either the problem with fan itself or its settings.

Solution

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018

But isn't lower rpm limit is better? Or it's somehow connected to voltage? like lower=less voltage higher=more voltage?

Even on ASUS website they advise to set low limit to 200rpm, because it's just the lowest allowed cpu fan speed, maybe I'm wrong and don't clearly understand this setting, maybe intel stock cooler just can't run with these values.

It is not clear to me if your bios fan speed setting is telling the minimum rpm before a warning is given or if it is telling the bios what rpm to start at.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018

I think it's the first one, the minimum rpm before the warning, according to google, couldn't find official explanation.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
So this is what I've found out. 100rpm-600rpm- doesn't make my fan to spin fast enough after cold boot, so I get cpu fan error. I get error only in Silent mode. So I set to Standart mode, and fan spins right after I push the power button. Solved.

rockboxes08

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
Today was a bit cold in my room, and cpu fan didn't start instantly again, seems like only ignore option can help. :(

P. S. Replaced fan. Works as it should. Will contact Intel about this later.