CPU fan error

Every time I boot I get a CPU fan error message. In the BIOS I changed a setting to allow me to bypass this error and boot into my OS. Otherwise, on stock settings, it will make me go to BIOS.
Heres the problem though, my motherboard ASUS m5a97 r2.0 doesn't let me plug the CPU fan into the port labled "CPU fan" next to CHA FAN 1 and CHA FAN 2. It will power up, but the motherboard squeals at me! at first I thought the fan bearings were making the sound, but Im 100% sure its not the fan itself, its the mobo, or some other component making the unbearable squeal. My solution is to plug the CPU fan in as a "chassis " fan, and that avoids the beep, but I still get the error message. Should I be concerned? all temps have been good so far (only completed my build 2 days ago)

when I plug ANY fan into the CPU FAN port the mobo squeals/screeches constantly, until I plug it into another spot or use a splitter from my PSU

Actually...i only have one of the 4 pin (2x 4pin split at the end of the cable that came with the Antec power supply 620 watt modular)
It looks like this right now

:):[ ]) <----ATX connector on mobo [ ] is where its plugged in.

.I dont think the other one fit(some are squares some are rounded). But i did notice i COULD plug the one 4 pin either all the way to the right, or in the middle, with 2 pins open on each side ( :[ ]: ) <this config did not make as much sense as the one i have now.
My motherboard is the ASUS m5a97 r2.0

SO i got the other 4 pin to connect, and i left it like, but the CPU fan port still squeals at me when a fan is connected to it :[

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hm...sounds to me like coil whine regarding the coil/condensator/whatever related to your mobo fan controller.
Had something similar on my old Asrock mobo...but nowhere near as loud as you describe it.

the noise is worrying, beyond annoying. I think the cpu fan will still get the power and temp managment it needs as a "chassis" fan. Hopefully this is not the cause of the couple BSOD i had...

the noise is worrying, beyond annoying. I think the cpu fan will still get the power and temp managment it needs as a "chassis" fan. Hopefully this is not the cause of the couple BSOD i had...