milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I'm using an Asus P5B-E with a core2duo and the stock intel hsf. On every boot, I get a cpu fan error which I just ignore because the temps are normal. The fan is connected to the correct plug on the motherboard.

In the bios I have the fan control set to the "optimal" setting which is supposed to adjust fan rpm according to temperature. Using the asus windows app, the cpu rpms are usually around 900rpm at idle.

Is there anything I should try doing before I disable the fan warning?

milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
The fan warning is just a warning from the motherboard about the fan; it has nothing to do directly with heat. If the cpu actually gets too hot, it will step itself down. I also monitor the temp levels from the chip in windows, so I think I'll be pretty safe. (Famous last words...)

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
You may be getting the warning because the warning threshold for the cpu fan is higher than the idle speed. The fan may scale itself down below what your mobo is set to alert you for if the temp allows it. I had that happen with my asus board, am2 & zalman cooler, the temps were fine but the fan was operating below the threshold.

milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Its a 4pin fan and a 4pin connector. It probably won't help but heres a pic: link

(note the pci 16mb 3dfx card i'm using while waiting on a rma for my 7600gt)

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
You may be getting the warning because the warning threshold for the cpu fan is higher than the idle speed. The fan may scale itself down below what your mobo is set to alert you for if the temp allows it. I had that happen with my asus board, am2 & zalman cooler, the temps were fine but the fan was operating below the threshold.
Bingo!

TRENDING THREADS