[SOLVED] CPU fan flaring up randomly, but frequently. Low CPU temp/load with brief spikes.

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
Having an issue with my CPU. Not sure if it's just my cooler I need to replace or if another component is the problem. My CPU fan is flaring up in a seemingly random pattern starting at low RPMs then increasing to high RPMs. When not under significant load, the RPMs stay low to mid, but still follow this pattern of seesawing from a low to high range. When under load, like when I am gaming, the fan is louder, the RPMs higher, but still the low to high seesaw pattern occurs. And, when idling, the fan speed seems to randomly stick to a very low very quiet RPM range, while still seesawing, but for no apparent reason increases to the low to mid RPM range and gets louder.

My temperatures are generally normal, however they briefly spike to a very high temperature for a short time, then decrease in a gradual process to normal temps for my CPU load. Idling, or only using Firefox with a few tabs open, the temperature range does not change much, but my CPU fan still seesaws. Idling the temps are 45-48C. Under slight load, with multiple programs open, it ranges from 50-60 and spikes up to 75 briefly. Under load, like when gaming, the temp ranged in the 70s to low 80s (my room is hot in the summer and the AC does not reach it) but briefly spikes to 95-105C, which seems like a critical temp but it only happens for under 20 secs, sometimes only 10 or less seconds.

I assume my CPU cooler is going out, and improperly sensing the CPU temp, would getting a new one help? I already replaced the thermal paste, which really needed it, and it helped some, lowering the RPMs the fan seesaws between, but the issue was not fixed. I am using Core Temp to check the temperature.

CPU: i7 4770 3.4 Ghz
Motherboard: H81M-HDS
Ram: 16 GB
SSD/HDD: HDD, think a Seagate, not sure on model.
GPU: R9 390 8GB
PSU: RM 850x

A bonus question to answer;

I've never replaced a CPU cooler before, but I think I understand how, from watching vids, can anyone tell me if this https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=79MBWS2AVGXNEE0TNBS5 would be compatible with my system? I think it is but I am having trouble finding out exactly what I need to look for.

Thanks for any info.

Solution
Thanks for all that info. Since my cooler is very dated I am going to try getting that contact heatsink component, or whatever it called technically. According to my measurements it will barely fit, just like my GPU. My case is not a top brand or anything, and I cannot find what make/model it is. If the new CPU heatsink works then it'd be perfect as I need to replace my current cooler anyways. I clean out my rig regularly and have already replaced the thermal paste, which really needed to be done.

If replacing the cooler works, I will mark your reply as the answer. Will probly take a week to get done.
Bought the tower CPU cooler, "Hyper 212 Evo" (...

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
If you're not overclocking the cpu then the temps rising are caused in most cases by accumulated dust, wither of thermal paste or as you pointed possibly cooler failing but thankfully you cn fix all these issues urslef.
As a side note sudden jump in temp (thermal throtling) is worse than stable for example 80ish or even early 90s C temp all the time.
You could try last resort with ur current cooler which would be entering bios and setting it to run at stable speed all the time, something like 60-70 or as high as u are able to tolerate the noise. Then run some stress test or games you play with core temp in the background checking now and then how things are.
If your temp is jumping all around the place or passing 95 C you do need a new cooler.
Yes CM Hyper is a good cooler, other good'n'cheap ones are for instance be quiet! Pure Rock Slim or Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 but efficincywise noctua rules the day currently such as Noctua NH-D9L.
now will they fit ur build? Don't know, they will fit on ur motherboard but u did not say what case u have. If you have a case that doesnt have a model or a brand well you need to look at the cooler specs and measure urself.
Another sidenote I'd advise using ArctiClean set for removing old thermal paste and preparing for application of new one, as for the paste itself Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut best everything in test aside from stuf like liquid metal coolants.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8pgPxr/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd9l
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
If you're not overclocking the cpu then the temps rising are caused in most cases by accumulated dust, wither of thermal paste or as you pointed possibly cooler failing but thankfully you cn fix all these issues urslef.
As a side note sudden jump in temp (thermal throtling) is worse than stable for example 80ish or even early 90s C temp all the time.
You could try last resort with ur current cooler which would be entering bios and setting it to run at stable speed all the time, something like 60-70 or as high as u are able to tolerate the noise. Then run some stress test or games you play with core temp in the background checking now and then how things are.
If your temp is jumping all around the place or passing 95 C you do need a new cooler.
Yes CM Hyper is a good cooler, other good'n'cheap ones are for instance be quiet! Pure Rock Slim or Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 but efficincywise noctua rules the day currently such as Noctua NH-D9L.
now will they fit ur build? Don't know, they will fit on ur motherboard but u did not say what case u have. If you have a case that doesnt have a model or a brand well you need to look at the cooler specs and measure urself.
Another sidenote I'd advise using ArctiClean set for removing old thermal paste and preparing for application of new one, as for the paste itself Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut best everything in test aside from stuf like liquid metal coolants.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8pgPxr/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd9l
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008
Thanks for all that info. Since my cooler is very dated I am going to try getting that contact heatsink component, or whatever it called technically. According to my measurements it will barely fit, just like my GPU. My case is not a top brand or anything, and I cannot find what make/model it is. If the new CPU heatsink works then it'd be perfect as I need to replace my current cooler anyways. I clean out my rig regularly and have already replaced the thermal paste, which really needed to be done.

If replacing the cooler works, I will mark your reply as the answer. Will probly take a week to get done.

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019

Bought the tower CPU cooler, "Hyper 212 Evo" ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and it fixed the whole problem. My rig now hums quietly and stays MUCH cooler under high load. Seemed to be a bad cpu cooler, which is not surprising due to me never upgrading from stock till now.

Sorry about the really late reply. If anyone is having the issue I am, I highly recommend a contact heatpipe tower cooler like the one I got. They are a hassle to install, but very well worth it.

Solution