Cpu Fan going crazy after tugging mouse cord on Usb.

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017
I accidentally tripped over earlier on my mouse cord and the Usb port was obviously tugged on quite hard.

I noticed immediately after my Cpu fan was going up and down like crazy, whirring far more than usual. It is going up and down unusually and making a really loud annoying noise in the process

How can damaging a Usb port do this the Pc and do I need to entirely replace the MOBO? The port still works and the PC did not move during said event.

Solution
Not-so-educated guess: The tug broke one of the non-essential power pins in the USB port and is causing the power to not give the USB port enough voltage, causing the amperage to go up on the working power pins and heat the motherboard up; thus causing the fans to kick up to attempt to cool it.

You might want to open it up and fix the port (either re-solder broken solder connections or replace the port if a pin on the board is actually broken).

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Not-so-educated guess: The tug broke one of the non-essential power pins in the USB port and is causing the power to not give the USB port enough voltage, causing the amperage to go up on the working power pins and heat the motherboard up; thus causing the fans to kick up to attempt to cool it.

You might want to open it up and fix the port (either re-solder broken solder connections or replace the port if a pin on the board is actually broken).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS