CPU fan has no effect on temperature. thermal paste messed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rio747

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I was just watching prime85 while watching the core temperatures and I noticed that the fan speed doesnt make a difference whatsoever. I have a Tuniq CR-T120 cooler which is supposed to be pretty good. Shouldnt changing the fan speed from really low to max change the temperature a couple degrees if everything was set up right? It has the same effect, or lack of, at both idle and 100%. What do you guys think?

Solution
G
you ought NOT use a credit card and spread the TP, it will cause air pockets when you install the heatsink. a line or pea sized dot in the middle is best.

thats the problem.

@amuffin didn't someone post a you tube video showing the different way by pressing down a piece of glass on your how to apply TP thread you have?

rio747

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Lets see, I just built this computer a couple weeks ago. I used silver arctic thermal paste, spreading it evenly over the surface of the chip with a credit card. In my opinion it was a small amount, but unless you are supposed to use a tiny amount only? Anyway, I've been doing quite a bit of testing and was satisfied with the results in terms of temps, ie less than 72-74c at full load running a 2.13 at 2.95. But now im noticing that the fan speed doesnt change the temperature in a measurable way at all, and i mean the difference is between silent on low to bothering my roommates loud on high.

Xeon L5518 @ 2.95ghz
EVGA E758-A1 Motherboard
Mushkin 8gb blackline PC-1600
Nvidia GTX 470
Mushkin 60gb SSD
WD RE4 1TB 7200RPM SATA II
1000 watt silverstone PSU
Tuniq CR-T120 CPU cooler

G

you ought NOT use a credit card and spread the TP, it will cause air pockets when you install the heatsink. a line or pea sized dot in the middle is best.

thats the problem.

@amuffin didn't someone post a you tube video showing the different way by pressing down a piece of glass on your how to apply TP thread you have?

Solution
G

thats it!

Status
Not open for further replies.