[SOLVED] CPU fan header with a 3 pin fan

vleds123

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
Hello peeps, so I'm looking to buy a CPU cooler and was looking at the Thermaltake ring (forgot the exact name) but basically its like a stock cooler and its very cheap like 20 to 30$ where I live but it comes with a 3 pin header only. My question is can my Asus Z270F strix control the speed of the fan since I don't want it loud all the time but more like the minimum speed. On my board, I have 2 CPU headers next to each other one called CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. I currently use the stock intel cooler on the CPU_FAN

PS: I don't want the big radiator kind of cpu cooler where u have a 120mm fan on it and id love to get an AIO but they are too expensive where I live so the Thermaltake is enough for me

Thanks alot

Solution
If you get a 3-pin fan you CAN control its speed automatically with the CPU_FAN header of your mobo. That will not give you less cooling than a similar 4-pin fan, although there ARE other fans (3- and 4-pin) with more air flow. See your mobo, p. 3-7. You are using this already. For a 3-pin fan the ONLY thing you need to do is make sure the option at upper right is set to DC, and not to PWM.

Without an exact specs, your description leads me to believe you are looking at the ThermalTake Riing Silent line (available Red or Blue) that has a 3-pin fan and a single LED colour ring around it, and NOT the Riing Pro line that comes with 4-pin fans. The coloured lighted ring on that fan will glow all the time at that one colour and MAY alter its...

vleds123

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
you can probably set it to dc Control in bios which means it wont run at full voltage. this can mean higher temp. what cpu are you using?
Hello!! Im using a I5 7400 so no need for something powerful but its just about the noise I like to run everything as silent as I can and I always monitor temps so it never gets hot. Im looking in aliexpress for fans like that but most of them are 3 pins

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you get a 3-pin fan you CAN control its speed automatically with the CPU_FAN header of your mobo. That will not give you less cooling than a similar 4-pin fan, although there ARE other fans (3- and 4-pin) with more air flow. See your mobo, p. 3-7. You are using this already. For a 3-pin fan the ONLY thing you need to do is make sure the option at upper right is set to DC, and not to PWM.

Without an exact specs, your description leads me to believe you are looking at the ThermalTake Riing Silent line (available Red or Blue) that has a 3-pin fan and a single LED colour ring around it, and NOT the Riing Pro line that comes with 4-pin fans. The coloured lighted ring on that fan will glow all the time at that one colour and MAY alter its brightness a little as the fan speed changes. The fan comes with an optional Low Noise Cable to use in the fan connections, and I suggest you should NOT use that. It is useful only if you cannot use a mobo header and must connect to a fixed 12 VDC power source from the PSU. When you DO have the fan pluggedinto a mobo header that does automatic fan speed control for you, do not use that extra cable.

Reactions: vleds123
Solution

vleds123

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019

Without an exact specs, your description leads me to believe you are looking at the ThermalTake Riing Silent line (available Red or Blue) that has a 3-pin fan and a single LED colour ring around it, and NOT the Riing Pro line that comes with 4-pin fans. The coloured lighted ring on that fan will glow all the time at that one colour and MAY alter its brightness a little as the fan speed changes. The fan comes with an optional Low Noise Cable to use in the fan connections, and I suggest you should NOT use that. It is useful only if you cannot use a mobo header and must connect to a fixed 12 VDC power source from the PSU. When you DO have the fan pluggedinto a mobo header that does automatic fan speed control for you, do not use that extra cable.
Great that was the answer i was looking for the cooler I'm looking for is the Thermaltake UX100, So i just plug it in the CPU_FAN and NOT on the CPU_OPT. After that I go to AISuite and change from PWM to DC or I should go into BIOS?
After I completed the steps then it should automatically change the speed based on the temperature or i have to manually change it if I'm gonna play a game for example?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Change it in bios. AI Suite only controls the fan speeds, but the fan itself is physically controlled by the motherboard, which is run by bios. Both operate the fan speeds automatically according to the temp sensor in the cpu, unless you change that, but you can also manually set the fan to any speed overriding AI or bios control.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most certainly you can make that change in BIOS Setup. But if you are nervous about that, I thought (could be wrong) that AI Suite is just a Windows app (you can run under Windows while doing normal work) that allows you to view some BIOS info AND change some of its configuration settings AND make those changes stick. So you should be able to do this adjustment that way.