Question CPU FAN HEADER

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I have problem in installing the second CPU cooler FAN. As Z390 A PRO has just one CPU header on Motherboard.

Where should i connect second CPU cooler FAN?

MOBO: MSI Z390 A PRO

Thank you

Use a fan splitter and connect both to the cpu fan header.
A splitter for a cpu fan will have the speed sensor of the second fan disabled to avoid speed sensing conflicts.
You can do this cutting yourself if you need to.

As an alternative, connect the second fan anywhere you can but it will not be managed by the cpu fan profile.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Use a fan splitter and connect both to the cpu fan header.
A splitter for a cpu fan will have the speed sensor of the second fan disabled to avoid speed sensing conflicts.
You can do this cutting yourself if you need to.

As an alternative, connect the second fan anywhere you can but it will not be managed by the cpu fan profile.

I have installed Noctua NH-U14 S Cpu cooler with 2 fans.
And already tried to use the Y splitter cable. With that cable both fans are spinning. But those fans not showing the RPM under MSI BIOS and even in MSI Dragon centre under hardware monitor. It was showing zero.

And when i will remove one fan. It showing the RPM of one FAN on both places i.e. Bios and MSI dragon centre.

Why it is like that?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi,

I am using Y splitter cable to run the 2 CPU fan on CPU heat sink in Push-pull model.

So i have connected both the FAN's on CPU FAN header via Y splitter cable.

But my concern is none of the CPU fan is not showing the CPU FAN RPM under BIOS and even MSI Dragon centre under hardware monitor.

I am using MSI Z390 A PRO motherboard and when i will disconnect the one FAN from y splitter cable. then one FAN is started showing the CPU FAN RPO under BIOS.

Not sure what to do to resolve this issue.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly power related running two fans off the one header affecting how they're monitored. May need a pwm powered hub.

Is the pump header being used? Can use this header for a fan as well if you can reach it.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Possibly power related running two fans off the one header affecting how they're monitored. May need a pwm powered hub.

Is the pump header being used? Can use this header for a fan as well if you can reach it.

I am using the PWM Y splitter cable. its not normal splitter. its a PWM Y splitter.

And my Water pump header is empty. but i heard in other forums that if you connect any Fan on Water pump header. it will always run on full speed? is that true?

And on Which temperature source the water pump header will work (CPU or motherboard temp)?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I meant the voltage through the pwm y split might not be enough for two fans. Or two fans is confusing the monitoring mechanism.

Should be able to adjust fan rpm if use pump header.

Reactions: anjris

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I meant the voltage through the pwm y split might not be enough for two fans. Or two fans is confusing the monitoring mechanism.

Sure, i will connect the another CPU fan in water pump header. Will it read it CPU temp or system temp?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu temp is standalone temp, the fans won't tell the system what temp the cpu is at, they only read rpm speed.

When the fan header is connected the motherboard knows the cpu is being cooled. The cpu temperature is read internally of the processor.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Cpu temp is standalone temp, the fans won't tell the system what temp the cpu is at, they only read rpm speed.

When the fan header is connected the motherboard knows the cpu is being cooled. The cpu temperature is read internally of the processor.

Do you mean SYS_FAN header on Motherboard won't work on CPU temp. they will work on Motherboard Temp?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
The temperature is read from the cpu's internal temp sensor. Can have the second fan connected to anywhere really. All you want is control over rpm speed.

No i don't want control over RPM speed. My question is if i will connect my second fan to SYS_FAN HEADER.

On which temp sensor it will detect and do the RPM speed less or more on which temp source?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Can connect system fan header but fan will run at full speed. The pump header regulates rpm. The CPU temp is read from inside the cpu, that is the source.
No,
I have connected 4 Fans in SYS_FAN Header but they are not running at full speed. they will regulate the RPM.

But i am not sure by which temp sensor they will regulate the RPM? And i guess in this world no one has an idea?

As we know CPU fan header will regulate the RPM based on CPU temp high or low. But not sure about SYS_FAN header ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Case fans can be controlled by manual winder or if the option is there to increase or decrease rpm via software via motherboard then YOU have to do the regulating, the sys_fan headers aren't sensing anything. There is no sensor to tell the fans what temperature it is inside the case.

Getting off topic here.

The cpu_fan and pump header is controlled by the cpu's temp sensor. It's been suggested here multiple times already.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
No system fans are controlled either by cpu Temp or system temp. Because whenever i play games after sometime those case fans will get ramp up automatically?

What is the reason for same if it not sensing anything?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Thanks didn't know that. However you have your op answer to which header to use for your cpu fan not case fans which your thread was about.
Actually my thread was about where to connect second cpu cooler fan in motherboard as my Mobo has only 1 CPU fan header.

And you have suggested to use the Water pump header in that case.

Thank you