CPU fan HP2000 swapped with Compact CQ56 fan — thermal error

Sep 22, 2018
Hello, I need some insight on something.

Before I start, this laptop is old and I’m not necessarily freaking out that it could potentially be broken or unfixable.

It’s an HP 2000
Here’s the story, my fan went out and would no longer spin, I could see it trying to spin but would never actually start. I cleaned out the fan completely and it still had the same problem. Long story short I had an extra Compact CQ56 laying around and the Hp 2000 and CQ56 are very similar. Anyways, I took apart the CQ56 to gets its fan. However, I’ve noticed that the connection end was different than the HP and the fan was a little bigger. Here’s where it gets interesting, I removed the wires from the HP fan, including the connecting end and I disconnected the wires on the compact from it’s connecting end and I soldered them together, yellow to yellow, black to black, and red to red. The fan case wasn’t the same size as the other one so fitting it in the laptop was a tiny hassle but I got everything to fit. When I started the laptop up after reasymbly, the fan works great, great airflow, turns on instantly. However, after loading past the hp logo to the windows it randomly shut off. I turned it back on and got a thermal shutdown error it repeats this process over and over shutting off and restarting. Note the laptop is cold and this happens instantly as it tries to resume windows.

Any idea what could be wrong with it aside from the obvious?

I’m wondering if it could do with thermal paste or something. Or if it’s failing to detect the fan. Maybe it’s drawing too much power — I’m not sure.

— thanks

Sep 22, 2018
Here’s another development. After restarting a few times, the computer will shut off before the screen can even turn on as if in it actually is over heating somehow. I tried to load it up and leave it on the unexpected shutdown screen to see if it would continue to operate so long as I didn’t try to boot fully and it did for awhile before shutting off again.