[SOLVED] Cpu Fan is spinning but the Rpm in Bios is 0

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Good day.

I realized today that in the bios that shows the cpu fan's rpm is 0. Also shows the HWINFO as well. The fan is spinning normally. Everything is connected into the right headers. When I do stressing the Cpu the rpm shows up in Hwfinfo how it supposed to be. As soon the cpu is in idle again it shows 0rpm. Or even disappear.
The Cpu temps are normal. In idle around between 35 and 40 celsius degrees.

My specs:
Motherboard: Msi Z490 Unify
Cpu: I7 10700k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Vga: Msi Rtx 2080 Ti GamingX Trio
Ssd: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb M.2
Hdd: 2tb Wd Black
Memory: 2x16gb Hyperx Fury 3200mhz
Psu: Seasonic Focus Plus PX 850w Platinum
Case: BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
Solution
I always left everything on auto. And the smart fan function has done its job. But now it looks like below a specific rpm it does not display. I have read some forums and some people has the same issue with the same mobo cpu cooler combo.
Auto settings for anything is usually very much of a compromise so it might not work as you wish, that's why in most systems you have some freedom for manual override.
Good day.

I realized today that in the bios that shows the cpu fan's rpm is 0. Also shows the HWINFO as well. The fan is spinning normally. Everything is connected into the right headers. When I do stressing the Cpu the rpm shows up in Hwfinfo how it supposed to be. As soon the cpu is in idle again it shows 0rpm. Or even disappear.
The Cpu temps are normal. In idle around between 35 and 40 celsius degrees.

My specs:
Motherboard: Msi Z490 Unify
Cpu: I7 10700k
Vga: Msi Rtx 2080 Ti GamingX Trio
Ssd: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb M.2
Hdd: 2tb Wd Black
Memory: 2x16gb Hyperx Fury 3200mhz
Psu: Seasonic Focus Plus PX 850w Platinum
Case: BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx

Thanks for your replies.
Which cooler ? Check BIOS if it's set properly to control appropriate to fan, PWM for 4 pin and Voltage control for 3 pin.

I always left everything on auto. And the smart fan function has done its job. But now it looks like below a specific rpm it does not display. I have read some forums and some people has the same issue with the same mobo cpu cooler combo.
Auto settings for anything is usually very much of a compromise so it might not work as you wish, that's why in most systems you have some freedom for manual override.

Solution