[SOLVED] Cpu fan is stuck at 0rpm but comes back and stays randomly after hours of running

catsarecute858

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I have a msi gtv72vr 7rd msi gaming laptop specs gtx 1060 16gb ram i7 7700hq and recently I just woke up one morning and my cpu fan was at 0 rpm no matter what I don't think it is a hardware issue as after 4-5 hours of playing fortnite it'll come back and runn at max speed because I set it to with cooler boost and it'll stay like that until I restart the computer does anybody know How I could fix this? as I am extremely confused on how my computer cpu fan seems to be triggered to run randomly

Solution
85c CPU temperatures are way too hot!

CPU temperatures should be at MAX 65-70 Under Very high load, with proper cooling your CPU should in theory average about 45-50C under load, and idle below 15.
You have a huge cooling issue that you need to deal with otherwise you'll have a burnt and faulty CPU if you don't already.

You should reseat your heatsink on your CPU and make sure you apply thermal paste correctly (if that's even an option on your specific laptop- just realized you were talking about a laptop and not a desktop)

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Yikes... the fact it's not running for 4-5 hours is a major major issue.... It should be running the second your computer is turned on, as it takes about 2 seconds for a CPU to reach 100C

Are you physically looking inside the PC and seeing the fan not turning, or are you looking at some sort of hardware monitor?
I reaaaaaally hope you're just looking at a faulty hardware monitor.

Make sure your CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header on your motherboard.

If you were in fact running without a CPU fan for hours, you're almost guaranteed to have significant problems in the near future if you aren't already experiencing issues.

catsarecute858

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I limited my cpu to running at 70% and the temps dont exceed 85c now as my pc has very good airfllow and I checked and reconnected the cpu fan 3 times and nothing is in it so i think it is a software issue

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
85c CPU temperatures are way too hot!

CPU temperatures should be at MAX 65-70 Under Very high load, with proper cooling your CPU should in theory average about 45-50C under load, and idle below 15.
You have a huge cooling issue that you need to deal with otherwise you'll have a burnt and faulty CPU if you don't already.

You should reseat your heatsink on your CPU and make sure you apply thermal paste correctly (if that's even an option on your specific laptop- just realized you were talking about a laptop and not a desktop)

Solution