[SOLVED] CPU fan keeps running at 4000+ rpm

Sep 28, 2020
hi guys

i just restored my os on my pc and now my cpu fan keeps running at 4000+ rpm at all times

it makes a weird sound which I assume is because it's spinning at such a fast rpm speed

i tried to set the CPU fan speed from the smartfan 5 program in the gigabyte bios to silent but it keeps running at same speeds as if nothing has changed. i tried to change the interval to 3, switched it from auto to pwm and even to voltage - still no difference

the setup is:
gigabyte z390 aorus pro
intel core i7-9700k
corsair h115i platinum
asus strix 1080 ti
corsair vengeance 3200 mhz 16 gb ram
corsair rm750x

anyone that might know a fix to this? the sound itself is not loud at all and the pc is functioning as it always did and temps are still in the low 30s but idk whether its good for the cpu fan to keep running at 4000+ rpm

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
It is probably maybe the PUMP that is being reported? Where is the pump connected, to what header? The CPU FAN header, right?

You are worrying and looking at idle temps "in the 30's". Those are irrelevant. They don't EVER matter, at ALL, not even a little, unless the maximum temperatures under a full load are above the recommended maximum specification, and THEN they only matter to the extent that they tell you something is wrong with the cooler or the installation of the cooler or the configuration of the cooler. What are your maximum CPU core temperatures while running Prime95 Small FFT with all AVX options (AVX, AVX2, AVX512 if present) disabled? Prime95 Small FFT is a steady state thermal load which is exactly what you need for...
What do you mean by "CPU fan speed"? Are you talking about the fans for your H115i AIO cooler? Because if you are, there is no way, IMPOSSIBLE, that they could be running at more than somewhere around 1500-2000rpm, depending on the specs for the fans. I'd have to look to be sure of the exact numbers but that is what is generally the max fan speed for most 120 and 140mm cooling fans.

Or are you using the H115i for the graphics card? If so, what cooler model are you using on the CPU because I don't know of ANY CPU cooler that can run at 4000rpm, so it sounds like something has failed and is misreporting or there is a software problem.

Sep 28, 2020
What do you mean by "CPU fan speed"? Are you talking about the fans for your H115i AIO cooler? Because if you are, there is no way, IMPOSSIBLE, that they could be running at more than somewhere around 1500-2000rpm, depending on the specs for the fans. I'd have to look to be sure of the exact numbers but that is what is generally the max fan speed for most 120 and 140mm cooling fans.

Or are you using the H115i for the graphics card? If so, what cooler model are you using on the CPU because I don't know of ANY CPU cooler that can run at 4000rpm, so it sounds like something has failed and is misreporting or there is a software problem.

yeah, I did some research myself and that is what I thought too

i use the AIO for the CPU but somehow it's saying in bios that the CPU Fan is running at 4000+ rpm which is kinda weird when it's cooled by the aio. pump fans are running at normal speeds and not making any weird noises

my pc functions fine and cpu temps are still in the 30s

so you might be right about something misreporting or there's a software problem

but the sound is a new occuring problem and i thought it may be because of that. i stopped all 5 fans in my pc and none of them removed the sound, i checked if it was my ssd drive or if something wasn't screwed on tight enough - everything was as it should be

could it be that i need to air bleed my water cooling system?

i may just have to get my pc diagnosed by some pc guy because it's kinda hard to describe the sound

the sound isn't loud at all and it's not from the fans spinning, i have a video of it if that helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf4k58sc9ychn4w/video-1601246552.mp4?dl=0

It is probably maybe the PUMP that is being reported? Where is the pump connected, to what header? The CPU FAN header, right?

You are worrying and looking at idle temps "in the 30's". Those are irrelevant. They don't EVER matter, at ALL, not even a little, unless the maximum temperatures under a full load are above the recommended maximum specification, and THEN they only matter to the extent that they tell you something is wrong with the cooler or the installation of the cooler or the configuration of the cooler. What are your maximum CPU core temperatures while running Prime95 Small FFT with all AVX options (AVX, AVX2, AVX512 if present) disabled? Prime95 Small FFT is a steady state thermal load which is exactly what you need for testing thermal compliance. You can also use OCCT small data set, which is very similar.

If you exceed 80°C at ANY point during a 15 minute test, stop the test by selecting Stop or Exit from the File menu (Don't just click the X in the top right corner, because that won't stop the utility from running, it will just continue to run from the system tray) and then figure out what is going on. It's possible there could be an issue with your pump but there's no way to know without doing some testing of your maximum thermals.

Solution