[SOLVED] CPU fan making noise

ian1452345

Commendable
Mar 29, 2020
Please help me my fan is making noise and I cant buy anything to try clean the fan first because of government control, can I continue to use my pc to play games as the temps are all normal but the fan is making noise?

Solution
Is it covered in dust? or just old? I am pretty sure you have toilet paper or paper towels, or even better QTips (small stick with cotton on each end) - can of compressed air would also work - but unlikely you have one of those laying around.

If it's not particularly dirty, and just making noise, a dab of cooking oil on the bearings would prob stop the noise - just do not go overboard with the oil... some machine oil would be better, more accurate dispenser... but if it's making noise it is probably going to fail. Order a replacement, pretty sure mail / packages are still running - or there is always the black market. You can try to move the fan up and down - pull and the push down on the fan motor...

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Is it covered in dust? or just old? I am pretty sure you have toilet paper or paper towels, or even better QTips (small stick with cotton on each end) - can of compressed air would also work - but unlikely you have one of those laying around.

If it's not particularly dirty, and just making noise, a dab of cooking oil on the bearings would prob stop the noise - just do not go overboard with the oil... some machine oil would be better, more accurate dispenser... but if it's making noise it is probably going to fail. Order a replacement, pretty sure mail / packages are still running - or there is always the black market. You can try to move the fan up and down - pull and the push down on the fan motor...

Solution

ian1452345

Commendable
Mar 29, 2020

Thanks for the reply I will try to clean with the cotton but will earbuds work? Can I ask if I want to add oil to the bearings I need to take out the fan right? If is that do I need to buy thermal paste? Thank you very much

Last edited:

ian1452345

Commendable
Mar 29, 2020
Thanks for the reply I will try to clean with the cotton but will earbuds work? Can I ask if I want to add oil to the bearings I need to take out the fan right? If is that do I need to buy thermal paste? Thank you very much
I used QTips to clean the fan but the sound is still there, I haven't tried the oild yet, and my pc is only 1yrs old but, I think I would consider buying a new fan thank you for the help.

TRENDING THREADS