CPU fan not recognised by mobo

l3el3op

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Heyo!

I have an msi z97i AC and I am trying to adjust the fan rpm on the intel stock cooler. For some reason the mobo does not recognise the fan and shows 0 RPM in hardware monitor (bios) even though the fan is spinning (slowly). I have tried both headers to no avail. CPUID HW detects the fans and shows they are spinning at 22%. I tried updating the bios and CMOS with no lucky. MSI Command Centre too does not detect the fan. Please advise. Thanks.

edit: Bought another cooler (Scythe Big Shuriken 2) and I can adjust the fan speed now! Must of been a fault with the connector on the stock cooler. Thanks anyway.

Solution
The stock cooler should be capable of the dissipation and silence on it's own without any intervention/tweaking necessary. Unless you're trying to overclock on the stock heatsink...? Mind you, there is only one CPU_FAN header
MSI%20Z97I%20AC%20Top.png

meaning that when the CPU_FAN header is left unpopulated you will see an error message.

If after reflashing your BIOS, the issue persists with the 0 RPM, you should initiate an RMA after contacting seller/MSI about the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
The stock cooler should be capable of the dissipation and silence on it's own without any intervention/tweaking necessary. Unless you're trying to overclock on the stock heatsink...? Mind you, there is only one CPU_FAN header
MSI%20Z97I%20AC%20Top.png

meaning that when the CPU_FAN header is left unpopulated you will see an error message.

If after reflashing your BIOS, the issue persists with the 0 RPM, you should initiate an RMA after contacting seller/MSI about the issue.

Solution