Question CPU fan not starting automatically

hentaika

Prominent
Oct 1, 2018
Basically my problem is - I got a laptop(msi gt 60 2pe if it matters at all) where the fan does not start even when when CPU reaches 90-100 degrees.

BUT sometimes it WILL start after the laptop has been running for ~30-120 minutes(the less time it was shut down between uses the less time it usually takes for it to start spinning for whatever mystical reason.

Also another fact - if I take open the laptop and carefully give it motion - it will start spinning immediately, no further tampering required - it will still spin normally based on temperature...

I wonder if someone can pinpoint what the problem is based on those facts?

I mean if it works correctly AFTER it starts spinning - I assume it's not any kind of power fault and more likely to be some problem with it starting to spin, and since I don't know what is responsible for that - I need more info.

Last edited:

hentaika

Prominent
Oct 1, 2018
MSI does not allow fan configuration via bios sadly.. but I tried some custom fan regulators made by users for that model that can regulate speed and they DO work BUT only after the fan actually starts working....
But as I already told - once fan starts working it works normally no matter what anyway.

Problem is actually starting the fan, which can only be done via certain condition:
1) Option 1 - never shut down laptop... technically viable strategy, except some stuff forces you to make a restart... and it helps restarting every once in a while, otherwise some windows 10 features keep draining progressively more CPU(and CPU is sadly the biggest bottleneck among laptops) up to ~20-30%, particularly the update thing once the updates are ready.

2) Option 2 - when I am forced to restart I usually just open the laptop, and start the fan spin manually... works but takes time each time I do that.. so while I can get it to work instantly this way, it's less than optimal as I can't take my screwdriver and have place to open laptop everywhere I take it.

3) Option 3 - wait ~30-120 minutes for it to launch by itself... the worst way since that means up to 120 minutes of CPU being at ~90-100 degrees.. not good for longevity I bet.

All in all my main question is - can I even be certain it's a problem with fan if it works after I start spinning it or maybe there is something on laptop side that gives signal for actual 'fan startup' as I feel like it simply doesn't think about 'starting'... as it DOES start after a long while... meaning for whatever reason it CAN start if it wants to.

Since I don't know exactly the whole system behind fan - that's my main question. Will simply replacing fan do the job or I should look in some other direction entirely.

TRENDING THREADS