[SOLVED] CPU fan not working before upgrade GPU

Dec 17, 2020
Hi, guys. My head hurts like hell. This morning I bought the 3060 ti you and I was ready to install it, so I took out my old 3gb 1060 and installed the new one. Everything seemed to be going well, I turned on the computer and installed the corresponding drivers. At this point I tried Cyberpunk and my God.. that fluency (almost gives me something).

The problem comes when I realize that the cpu fan doesn't work (what?) I honestly have always thought that if that fan does not work as standard impossible to turn on the computer.. I was wrong. The thing is, this fan isn't working at all. So I tried to hit him with a stick to force him to move. The thing is, it went on and off all the time, as if it lacked power.
My computer's off for fear of burning it. Can someone help me?

Last edited:
Solution
First point: it IS an important second function of the CPU_FAN header to monitor the CPU's cooling fan for failure. To do this, the actual CPU cooling fan MUST be plugged into the CPU_FAN header. So, it yours plugged in there?

Secondly: what the system does IF that header detects a fan failure is NOT the same for all mobos. Virtually all WILL send out an alarm message, ususally as an on-screen message for you to see and respond. SOME, but not all, may wait for a short time and then shut down the system without waiting for the CPU temperature sensor to detect a high temp. Further, SOME will not allow you to start up if the CPU cooler fan does not start up when power is turned on, but again, not all will do that.

What you report is that...
Dec 17, 2020
Nvidia specs say 600w for a 3060ti:

Your psu looks to be an old/cheap unit that may not deliver even the advertised 500w on +12v where it is needed.
Did the psu have an 8 or 6+2 pin power lead?
Adapters are not recommended.
6+2
maybe that is the problem. do you recommend any psu?

A 6+2 is equivalent to a 8 pin.
In theory, that should be sufficient.

Motherboards want to know that a cpu cooler is in place before they start.
It could be by detecting a connection to the cpu fan header. Or, by detecting that the fan is running at more than 500 rpm.
A fan will not start if it does not have sufficient voltage.
You do not want to run without a working cooler for more than 5-10 seconds.

If you are going to replace the psu, consider it as a long term investment.
Look for a quality psu of 750w with a 7 or 10 year warranty.
Seasonic is a good place to start.
It will serve you for many future upgrades.

Reactions: Saxboi

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First point: it IS an important second function of the CPU_FAN header to monitor the CPU's cooling fan for failure. To do this, the actual CPU cooling fan MUST be plugged into the CPU_FAN header. So, it yours plugged in there?

Secondly: what the system does IF that header detects a fan failure is NOT the same for all mobos. Virtually all WILL send out an alarm message, ususally as an on-screen message for you to see and respond. SOME, but not all, may wait for a short time and then shut down the system without waiting for the CPU temperature sensor to detect a high temp. Further, SOME will not allow you to start up if the CPU cooler fan does not start up when power is turned on, but again, not all will do that.

What you report is that you are not seeing any warning message, and the system does NOT shut down and does NOT refuse to start. So MAYBE your system does not have all those protections in its BIOS software. BUT another possibility is that you have some OTHER item plugged into the CPU_FAN header that IS working. And a third possibility is that, in the BIOS Setup options for the CPU_FAN header, you have disabled the fan speed monitoring. That option exists in many mobos because some poeople choose NOT to connect their CPU cooler to that header (connect direct to a PSU output, for example) and need to disable the automatic failure detection system. So, check for that possibility.

Another item to check. Most people set the CPU_FAN header to use the default automatic fan control strategy, INCLUDING using the default "fan curve", to control that cooler. But you CAN set a different strategy (like, keep the fan constantly on a low speed so it is quiet), OR set it to use your own custom "fan curve" of fan speed versus measured temperature. If you have done either of those, you may be forcing the fan control system to run the fan so slow that it stalls and cannot re-start. So look at details of how your CPU_FAN header's options are set.

Last possibility that can happen, although the normal fan failure system should have detected this. The actual CPU cooling fan may have worn out (especially its bearings) so that it stalls at a reduced voltage that would not normally be low enough to cause a stall. One hint of this would be for you to watch that fan very carefully as soon as you start up. The NORMAL process is that ALL fans (including this one) are fed a signal to start up at full speed (to be sure they start), and a few seconds later they slow down to what is actually needed. So watch your fan. Does it start up for a few seconds and then stop? That would indicate that the fan can work, but is being fed a speed signal that is too slow when your system is cool. In that case, see whether there is a way to specify a minimum fan speed, and raise that setting.

Solution