Question CPU fan not working correctly

May 7, 2019
Hello, I’ve used resources from the community before, but I’ve never had to ask anything until now. I build pc’s as a side hobby job thing and recently I have stumbled upon a possible issue I’m moderately concerned about.

Specs for reference
Ryzen 2600
Aorus b450 elite
(CPU fan) coolermaster g100m
This is all that should be needed for this issue

The issue being, upon powering on the cpu fan doesn’t spin, but everything else turns on properly. We had to cut our first appointment short, so we didn’t get to do much troubleshooting, this will be happening later tonight. My thoughts are A) I have heard of newer mobos not utilizing the cup fan on boot for noise, or simply out of it not being a necessity, but I’m scared to leave it on until the fan ramps to prove this.
B) I made sure it wasn’t a fan issue by plugging it into sys fan 2 and it ramped up just fine, leading me to believe it might be a header issue if not the mobo not requiring the fan to ramp on boot.
We haven’t tested to see whether or not we could actually post to the bios yet (again our appointment was cut very short) so a bios search for clues will be happening later today. Any info, advice or answers would be greatly appreciated!

May 7, 2019
I should also mention I have tried to find info as to wether or not this mobo is one of the mystical ones I described in point A, but to no avail leading me to believe it is something with the cooler or cpu fan header

You may need to adjust fan curve of cpu fan header.
Sounds like default fan curve can't start the cooler on boot.

Also - there could be settings in BIOS for changing fan type from PWM to linear DC regulation. Make sure those settings are appropriate for type of your fan.

May 7, 2019
You may need to adjust fan curve of cpu fan header.
Sounds like default fan curve can't start the cooler on boot.

Also - there could be settings in BIOS for changing fan type from PWM to linear DC regulation. Make sure those settings are appropriate for type of your fan.
Will do, thanks for the advice, I will be posting live later through the troubleshooting process

Latest posts