Question CPU fan not working eversince I changed my CPU

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Hey everyone,

so basically, I switched my CPU for a new one yesterday and eversince the CPU fan is not working when it's connected to the cpu_fan1 connector. I know the fan isn't broken because I connected it to the system_fan connector instead and it worked properly, so something must be wrong with the cpu_fan connector.
When I connect the fan to the cpu_fan1 and turn the PC on it just turns slightly for a short moment but does not work after that. When I check it in the BIOS while it's connected to cpu_fan1 it just shows as if it were disconnected. When I connect it to the system_fan instead it works properly, and the BIOS also recognizes it. The problem is that while it's connected to system_fan it cannot follow the CPU temperature, and I actually got the new processor in order to be able to overclock. I constantly have to use the smart fan option of my motherboard to set a correct speed, but nevertheless the CPU could get overheated anytime. I don't want to set the fan to full speed because it's way to loud.
I have an MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard. It worked fine before I got the new CPU, but I honestly doubt that it has something to do with it. I also updated my BIOS but the problem persists.
Anyone got an idea what might be causing the problem?

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
does the header work if you revert to the original CPU? if not check for bent pins on the motherboard, otherwise it may be contact points on the new CPU
The pins are in a fine condition, optically. They aren't bent or anything.
I thought about reverting to the old CPU to check if it's causing problem but I honestly didn't think it has anything to do with it and I also don't have any cooling paste left so I'd need to purchase some if I wanted to switch back and forth again. The CPU isn't new I got it used but how can it affect the CPU fan if it's not directly connected to it?

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
I only mean I didn’t believe the cpu had anything to do with the cpu fan, and besides if it’s the cpu that’s causing the problem then I probaby can’t fix it can I? (Besides getting a new one)

Is there any way to know which contacts on the cpu specifically are making the connection to the cpu fan?

Last edited: