CPU Fan On Alienware 17 R4 Gets Very Loud

May 22, 2018
Hello, I hope I am in the correct thread. Either way, I have just purchased this laptop and noticed that the fans inside were getting very loud when gaming. My question is, are they spinning fast because of the amount of Voltage going to the CPU or is it because of the temperature of the CPU. I can't find any straight answer anywhere.

Solution

Yes I've recommended that a time or two. I've used it on my i7-7700K and it dropped temps by 20C. But be sure you are in fact experiencing high temps before deciding to do that.

Do your research before attempting.
May 22, 2018
I have no idea how this website works so I'm sorry if I screw things up. Would getting a liquid metal thermal compound such as Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut bring my temps lower to where I notice a change in the fan noise?

Yes I've recommended that a time or two. I've used it on my i7-7700K and it dropped temps by 20C. But be sure you are in fact experiencing high temps before deciding to do that.

Do your research before attempting.

Solution
May 22, 2018

Okay thank you. I've already done tons of research on how to do it properly, I just wanted to make sure that it would help me in this situation since my CPU is consistently at 70c.

Hang on now, 70C is not a high temp especially for a laptop.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

"Here's the operating range for Core temperature:
Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.
Core temperatures below 80°C are preferred."
Svr2si8.jpg

May 22, 2018

I know it's not that high, but I prefer to keep every component in my system as cool and as quiet as I can.