CPU Fan Problems, Temps Seem Normal

ubertrout

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I'm running a Intel Core i7 950, and the CPU fan has been running very slow lately, and I have been noticing that hot hardware smell. The CPU Cooler (a Cooler Master V8) fan is running at between 500-1000 rpm, although it occasionally dips even lower. However, all temperatures seem normal - the CPU cores are between 50 and 55 C, and all other internal temperatures seem normal. Should I be worried though? Asus AI suite keeps giving me low fan speed warnings (I checked values with Open Hardware Monitor too), and the BIOS gave me a warning too on startup yesterday.

Solution
My first thought would be a fan issue causing then to slow down.

At low loads even with a slower fan the cpu will not overheat.

You could set a custom fan curve that starts a bit high in the bios on boards boards.

As we get into the warmer time of year, things will run warmer as well unless you have air conditioning fighting off the rising temperatures of the summer(not hot in my location yet however).
My first thought would be a fan issue causing then to slow down.

At low loads even with a slower fan the cpu will not overheat.

You could set a custom fan curve that starts a bit high in the bios on boards boards.

As we get into the warmer time of year, things will run warmer as well unless you have air conditioning fighting off the rising temperatures of the summer(not hot in my location yet however).

Solution