[SOLVED] CPU fan randomly spiking without noticeable temp/load spike

Feb 14, 2022
Hello everyone!

I have an Intel I7 4770s CPU and it's stock cooler fan randomly spikes up to 3000-ish rpm for around a second before falling back down again to around 1000 rpm. I have monitored it with Open hardware monitor, there is nothing out of the ordinary other than the fan speed spiking.
Does enyone know what could the issue be?

Solution
stock cooler fan randomly spikes up to 3000
many applications like Open Hardware Monitor are slow to report real-time temperature changes and instead may just relay an average over time or only update every few seconds to every few minutes even.

very possible that your system is having temperature spikes that you just aren't seeing.

create a custom fan curve profile and limit the RPM % of the highest temperature peak.
using decent control software should also have the option to expand the 'fan spin up & spin down time' to reduce the times that any RPM spikes may occur.
stock cooler fan randomly spikes up to 3000
many applications like Open Hardware Monitor are slow to report real-time temperature changes and instead may just relay an average over time or only update every few seconds to every few minutes even.

very possible that your system is having temperature spikes that you just aren't seeing.

create a custom fan curve profile and limit the RPM % of the highest temperature peak.
using decent control software should also have the option to expand the 'fan spin up & spin down time' to reduce the times that any RPM spikes may occur.

Solution