CPU fan reading very high RPM

dhorsburgh1

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
I just built my first PC. I have plugged the fan cable of my NZXT Kraken x62 into the CPU fan header as per the instructions. When I enter the bios my case fans are all sitting at around 8-900 RPM on low load. But my CPU fan reads as high as a couple of thousand RPM. Is this normal or do I have a problem? The fans on the radiator don't seem to be working that hard

Solution
Is it around 2k RPM? If so I wouldn't worry (you can generally tell when a fan is running full speed just by listening to it). Smaller fans tend to run at higher RPMS. Plus, there's no guarantee that those readings are even accurate due to any number of reasons. Basically, if the fan doesn't sound like it's screaming at top speed, and your temps are good, I wouldn't worry about it.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Is it around 2k RPM? If so I wouldn't worry (you can generally tell when a fan is running full speed just by listening to it). Smaller fans tend to run at higher RPMS. Plus, there's no guarantee that those readings are even accurate due to any number of reasons. Basically, if the fan doesn't sound like it's screaming at top speed, and your temps are good, I wouldn't worry about it.

Solution

dhorsburgh1

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

I just watched it for a while. It sits on about 4800 RPM increasing regularly for a second or two to as high as 12000 RPM. The fans seem to spinning quite slowly and I can only hear them if I put my ear right next to them. Does it have anything to do with having two radiator fans hooked to the one header? Or maybe a faulty reading?

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Two fan on one header will throw the reading off. Trust me, if your fans were spinning at 12K RPM, you'd know. If your temps are good, then there's nothing to worry about, and enjoy your new PC.