Cpu fan Rpm after a spike...

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hi All,

I have a gygabyte P35-DS3 motherboard and an Intel Core2duo 6550 on it.
Yesterday, i turned my pc on and a spike burned my psu, making it explode. The machine was dead. I changed my psu with a new one and everything went ok.
But, with a friend of mine, we noticed that the cpu fan now runs at 450-530 rpm.
We thought that the spike burned the fan as well and changed it with a new one. Same result.
My friend told me that maybe my board is burned too.

So, i turned on all the alarm in the bios menu: now the pc makes a noise when fan doesn't start (and, indeed, it makes a sound at boot till the fan doensn't start, after 10 sec.) and when the cpu temperature is more than 80 C.

During office application, the cpu runs at 40-45 C. I tried to launch a couple of videogames and everything is fine.

So? Suggestions ?

thanks a lot
duplo

You can try using a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter, and connect the fan directly to the power supply. It's cheaper than replacing the motherboard. I also use zalman "fan mate 2" rpm adjusters. These work with the board 3 pin plugs. However, they won't compensate for a low rpm due to a board problem. The maximum setting is just what the board is running.

duplo

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks for the answer.

But do you really think my board could have been harmed by a spike only in this single feature (the fan rpm) ?
it's really strange.