[SOLVED] CPU Fan Running Full Speed And No Display

degsy01

Reputable
May 30, 2017
I'm putting together a desktop for my sister from some old parts that were working when I last used them. The problem I'm getting is before I can even install Windows.
The CPU fan comes on full speed, but there is no post. If I unplug the GPU (GTX 260 GS) and restart, the CPU fan goes back to normal speed, but obviously, there's no display at that point.

I've tested the old GPU in my main PC and it posted fine.
I've taken my new PSU out of my main PC and put it in the spare one and I'm still having the same result.
I've used RAM from my main PC in the build one, but that doesn't make any difference.
Plugged the GPU from my main PC (GTX 1060) into the build and the CPU fan runs at a normal speed, but still no post.
The CPU was working in my main PC last week, and I applied fresh paste before fitting it to the build.

The Mobo is a second-hand Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and was sold as AM3/AM3+ and I am using an AMD FX8320 CPU. Could it be the CPU isn't compatible with the board?
I'm reading online that it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shamil Sultan
Solution
I'm putting together a desktop for my sister from some old parts that were working when I last used them. The problem I'm getting is before I can even install Windows.
The CPU fan comes on full speed, but there is no post. If I unplug the GPU and restart, the CPU fan goes back to normal speed, but obviously, there's no display at that point.

I've taken my new PSU out of my main PC and put it in the spare one and I'm still having the same result.
I've used RAM from my main PC in the build one, but that doesn't make any difference.
The CPU was working in my main PC last week, and I applied fresh paste before fitting it to the build.

The Mobo is a second-hand Asus M4A89GTD...
The CPU fan comes on full speed, but there is no post. If I unplug the GPU and restart, the CPU fan goes back to normal speed, but obviously, there's no display at that point.

The Mobo is a second-hand Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and was sold as AM3/AM3+ and I am using an AMD FX8320 CPU. Could it be the CPU isn't compatible with the board?
Here's a link to the CPU support list for that motherboard. I did not see the FX8320 on the list. The few FX CPU's that were listed only showed beta support also.

Reactions: degsy01
Solution
May 23, 2021

It must be a problem with the ram just clean it using a eraser and check again