CPU fan runns faster than it did before

Jompinator

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hello!

Yesterday i changed my computer case, And when i started my computer my cpu fan was running on full speed and it wont go down to the normal speed.
I cant find anything in the BIOS to lower the temp or power management. And i tried to use SpeedFan to see if i could lower it from there but that didnt work either.
And overall the computer seems to be loading a bit slower that before, When i try to install a game it takes around 10min to just install 3% of the game. And ive installed it before and it should take that long.

The computer case was a Lenovo computer, so pretty much everthing in the computer is Lenovo's execpt the grapich card.

i havent plugged in all the pinouts, because some of them isnt designed for the computer case that i bought cus the old computer case was a lenovo standard.

the computer case i bought is a Antec 300 http://www.antec.com/demo/ThreeHundred/

Motherboard
Model
Manufactory LENOVO
Serial Number
BIOS Name LENOVO BIOS Rev: 1.0
BIOS Vendor LENOVO
SMBIOS Version 5JKT58AUS
BIOS Date 9/22/2011

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Central Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz

Plz help me the sound is makeing me crazy, sounds almost like a vaccum!

/best regards Johnny

Jompinator

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
The CPU temerature is around 30C when its plugged in, but i unplugged it just for now to see how hot it gets and now its idleing around 47/50C

The fan is propelry seated i didnt remove it from the motherboard when i changed it.

The BIOS configuration hasn't changed (there normally is a setting for the CPU fan) and the HSF is fully seated, but the system is slower. I would try it outside of the case to rule out a short. How fast is the CPU running according to CPU-Z or Speccy (it also displays the fan speed) when running Prime95?

Jompinator

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
There is no CPU fan setting in the bios. And the CPU is running on 4000RPM+
I downloaded Prime95 and tested it and without the fan running it went up to 98C and then i turned it off

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I had been messing with an old Dell P4 system, and I had the same problem you had. I had removed the battery on the board and replaced it since the old one was low, but while I did that, I had also unplugged the fan to the cpu to clean the heatsink.

When I turned that sucker on, it began to spin up to 'jet engine' speeds. All I had to do was check the fan's connection to the board; I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and that worked like a charm.

Jompinator

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Well i unplugged the fan and plugged it in again and nothing happend. And the fan is clean.
i unplugged all the other fans in the computer and just had the cpu fan running and it still was running fast.

Jompinator

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Yeah. Because i got another one of this computer upstairs and i can tell that this is not the normal speed of the fan, and 4000rpm is too much isn it?
When i start the computer the cpu fan is running on normal speed and after 3 seconds it start to run fast.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
66C isn't too bad... What program are you using to test the temps?

I would suggest realtemp if you aren't using it already.

There is no reason the stock heatsink should be 'like a vacuum'; I ran it for quite awhile full blast(I think around 2000-3000rpm not 4k+) and even overclocked a 920 to 3.2ghz with the stock heatsink.

Jompinator

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
im using SpeedFan for the temps, And as i said i turned of all the other fans and the cpu was the only fan that was running and still it was fast :(

Im gona try to reinstall the computer now, cus its need to be reninstalled anyway and see what happens.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Make sure if you removed the heatsink that you replaced the thermal paste with new paste, and that the pushpins are all the way in.

You might need to let your system cool down all the way too... I think people don't realize that sometimes things don't fit too well due to internal thermal expansion from the heat energy; I was having trouble moving a board from one case to another after I had been using it until I let it cool down some.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I thought you might've been using the computer with the problem. ;)

Also, you could try removing the BIOS battery for 10 minutes. Maybe that will reset it so the fan doesn't "Turbo Boost" itself to 4Khz+. :pt1cable:

Jompinator

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hello!

Just wanted to say that i figured it out, it was kinda stupid of me not to see that i had forgot about he Temp HD cable for the cpu Haha.

Well thanks anyway for all the help! I very much appreciate it!

/Best Regards Johnny