CPU fan speed always at max RPM

dreb

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi, I am having trouble with the the fan speed on my stock Athlon II X3 450 heatsink. It seems to be running at 3500rpm even though CPU temps are at around 20 degrees, and it is getting quite loud. Also Speedfan doesn't recognize the CPU fan, so I am getting the numbers from the BIOS.

Is this normal? I could buy a aftermarket cooler but will the fans on the new cooler continue to run at max speed?

Thanks.

Solution
Well, I had the same issue with an Asus baord...that was until I enabled two options in the BIOS: Asus Q fan technology and AMD cool & quiet. Now the fan runs at optimal rpm and revs only when there's load on the cpu.

Try searching for some equivalent functionality in the BIOS of your MSI board, the AMD cool & quiet will be common for all boards !

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
give your computer a clean out with a compressed air can,

try removing your heatsinc and re-applying with new thermal compound.

make sure in your bios things like "smart fan" are turned on.
if you post ur motherboard model we can tell you exactly to look for.

virajk

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Well, I had the same issue with an Asus baord...that was until I enabled two options in the BIOS: Asus Q fan technology and AMD cool & quiet. Now the fan runs at optimal rpm and revs only when there's load on the cpu.

Try searching for some equivalent functionality in the BIOS of your MSI board, the AMD cool & quiet will be common for all boards !

Solution

dreb

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks, I tried turning on Cool & Quiet but it did ny seem to slow the fans down. Does this mean a faulty MB or will buying another heatsink help ?

dreb

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks, I tried turning on Cool & Quiet but it did not seem to slow the fans down. Does this mean a faulty MB or will buying another heatsink help ?

dreb

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks, I tried turning on Cool & Quiet but it did ny seem to slow the fans down. Does this mean a faulty MB or will buying another heatsink help ?

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
hey can u tell me for my mobo plz ??

GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.2)

The only difference is that, my fan runs on max only when i play videogames. but 6300 rpm isnt too much? I applied some arctic silver , cleaned it, but same thing!