[SOLVED] Cpu fan speed is high 3000 when playing games and high 2000 when on the internet. Should I be worried?

Apr 21, 2021
Whenever I play fortnite the rpm of the cpu fan is high 3000. Then, when I'm on the internet, it goes to high 2000. Is this normal? My cpu is also water cooled if that matters.

Solution
depends...

With an AIO, "CPU fan" is actually the water block pump and that should be running max speed ALL THE TIME. It should never be less than 100%...and that's probably around 3000rpm. You have to make an adjustment (usually in BIOS) to change the fan/pump speed to voltage controlled, 12V at all temperatures.

When adjusted like that it will vary in speed a little bit since the +12V line from the PSU also varies a little bit depending on how you're using the system. So all you're looking for is that it run 'around' 3000, with variances expected and allowed. Some monitoring utilities report the +12V line voltage if you want to see how it varies.

But if what you mean is the radiator fans then 3000rpm is way to fast, probably...
depends...

With an AIO, "CPU fan" is actually the water block pump and that should be running max speed ALL THE TIME. It should never be less than 100%...and that's probably around 3000rpm. You have to make an adjustment (usually in BIOS) to change the fan/pump speed to voltage controlled, 12V at all temperatures.

When adjusted like that it will vary in speed a little bit since the +12V line from the PSU also varies a little bit depending on how you're using the system. So all you're looking for is that it run 'around' 3000, with variances expected and allowed. Some monitoring utilities report the +12V line voltage if you want to see how it varies.

But if what you mean is the radiator fans then 3000rpm is way to fast, probably screaming loud. I'd make them really slow most of the time, around 1000-1200rpm max.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 21, 2021
i only know what cpu and gpu i have. I have an i7-10700f and an rtx 2060 super. I use NZXT cam to determine what rpm my fans are at. I have a compouter bought from ibuypower

Apr 21, 2021
The case I have it has two fans in the front one in the back and I think one on the bottom for the power supply. It also has a screen infront of the two front intake fans but has two large holes for air.

Apr 21, 2021

Apr 20, 2021
That should work unless someone screwed up and mounted the fans to blow into wrong direction, like all of them blowing at the same time. Some people ha such issue even on a prebuild PC's.

Apr 20, 2021
Running fans at high RPM doesn't really have much impact on their lifespan. In fact most servers don't even bother with throttling of their fans and run them at full speed at all time.
Of course servers are usually not located in the same room as other people so the fan winding isn't bothering anybody like your fans wining is bothering you.

Also you might want to check your fan settings. Modern computers allow you to define a fan curve or in either words tell your motherboard at which RPM should the fan spin when CPU is at certain temperature.
For instance if on my computer with Asus M5A99FX motherboard I change the fan curve to Turbo my CPU fan will start running at about 2000 RPM despite the fact that the temperature of my CPU is currently at 35 degrees Celsius. But on my custom defined fan curve the CPU fan is running now at 1200 RPM.