CPU fan speed really fast with a cool CPU

sicklesnickle

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hi I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 and an ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo, Windows 7. I am having a trouble with very high fan speeds at idle and during gaming. I was using the stock heatsink/fan combo which was idling at 6000RPM with a CPU temp of 34c. I tried doing things like making sure Cool n Quiet was on and using the power saver mode under system settings. I also tried programs like Speed Fan and the ASUS program that comes with the motherboard.

I recently bought the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and the fan is going at full speed of 2040 RPM with a CPU temp of 32-34c. I was hoping that someone might know of a setting in the BIOS that I am missing or have heard of this problem before. My fan is 4 prong but only goes to its max speed on boot and stays there. Thank you for your time.

ETA: the fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and it is 4 pin.
Also This started a couple weeks ago randomly when my gf was playing Black Ops. I ran a virus scan with nothing found.

It would have sounded most like a CPU cooler failure.
But you replaced the HSF and the same thing happened.

And if you made no changes in BIOS or other software settings that caused that issue it's sounding like a problem with the motherboard.