Question CPU Fan spinning at max speed all the time

tldragonx02

Reputable
Sep 4, 2017
So I had this problem before, but I was able to fix it by making the fan always spin at a low speed (obviously bad for the CPU but it was the only thing that worked). It has happened again today where the speed of my CPU AIO fans spin really fast.. I can't figure out how I changed it last time and I'm unsure why it happened again this time (nothing was installed that would altar the fans).
I installed MSI after burner to try to change the speeds but that didn't work. Here's a picture of my bios with the qfan control right beside it.
Any help would be much apricated, thanks.
https://ibb.co/K7SWLhc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Tell us:
  1. What mobo maker and exact model number / name
  2. What CPU cooler system - maker and model
  3. What is the CPU temperature when in use? I see 28C in your sceeen shot, just idling.
  4. Where is the Cooler PUMP plugged in?
  5. Where are the RAD FANS plugged i?
  6. How many case ventilation fans? Where are they plugged in?
I note your screen shot indicates NO case vent fans connected to your mobo headers.

tldragonx02

Reputable
Sep 4, 2017
Tell us:
  1. What mobo maker and exact model number / name
  2. What CPU cooler system - maker and model
  3. What is the CPU temperature when in use? I see 28C in your sceeen shot, just idling.
  4. Where is the Cooler PUMP plugged in?
  5. Where are the RAD FANS plugged i?
  6. How many case ventilation fans? Where are they plugged in?
I note your screen shot indicates NO case vent fans connected to your mobo headers.
  1. ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E
  2. Lian Li Accessory Galahad AIO360
  3. I’m not sure what you mean by in use, temps are generally fine when playing games, around 30-40
  4. Aio pump
  5. Cpu fans
  6. I have 6 more fans for ventilation, this is a little different because I use the deepcool rgb converter for all of my fans. As a side note, I’m not sure if this would be related but I have my cpu fans rgb plugged into the same connector as my case fans yet I cannot control the rgb for them. Also I use lian li 3x fans for ventilation.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, I do NOT believe you can use MSI Afterburner to control items on a ASUS mobo. That utility is designed for MSI mobos. Unless you are using it for some other MSI component, you should un-install that and instead install and use the utilities from ASUS, AI Suite for fans etc., and Aura Sync for lighting controls.

I suggest that first you un-install MSI Afterburner then reboot, going into BIOS Setup right away. Use those screens to configure your mobo headers. Ensure that the CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and AIO_PUMP headers are set to use PWM Mode, and not Voltage or DC Mode, and the default automatic control option. Remember to SAVE and EXIT to reboot using these settings. That should get your Rad Fans running under reduced speeds until your workload increases. If that works, then install and run the AI Suite utility and use that to make further adjustments to your fans.

For control of the lighting of the AIO system, you certainly should be able to do that. I understand you are using a Converter to convert from the 4-pin plain RGB headers of your mobo to the 3-pin ARGB light systems your fans have. That same converter output should be able to do this. I do note, however, HOW that connection to your AIO system must be done. That system comes with two options. One is to use the small manual box to control the AIO. The OTHER is a small item that looks like a Splitter and allows you to connect from the signal source (your Converter) to the AIO lighting cables without using the manual box. Is that how you have it?

tldragonx02

Reputable
Sep 4, 2017
First, I do NOT believe you can use MSI Afterburner to control items on a ASUS mobo. That utility is designed for MSI mobos. Unless you are using it for some other MSI component, you should un-install that and instead install and use the utilities from ASUS, AI Suite for fans etc., and Aura Sync for lighting controls.

I suggest that first you un-install MSI Afterburner then reboot, going into BIOS Setup right away. Use those screens to configure your mobo headers. Ensure that the CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and AIO_PUMP headers are set to use PWM Mode, and not Voltage or DC Mode, and the default automatic control option. Remember to SAVE and EXIT to reboot using these settings. That should get your Rad Fans running under reduced speeds until your workload increases. If that works, then install and run the AI Suite utility and use that to make further adjustments to your fans.

For control of the lighting of the AIO system, you certainly should be able to do that. I understand you are using a Converter to convert from the 4-pin plain RGB headers of your mobo to the 3-pin ARGB light systems your fans have. That same converter output should be able to do this. I do note, however, HOW that connection to your AIO system must be done. That system comes with two options. One is to use the small manual box to control the AIO. The OTHER is a small item that looks like a Splitter and allows you to connect from the signal source (your Converter) to the AIO lighting cables without using the manual box. Is that how you have it?
So the problem has stopped by itself.. however I did install AI Suite and attempt to configure the headers.

For the converter, I'll try to send a picture of it when I can but if I remember right all my fan lights are connected to the converter and I do not have the little RGB controller on it because I wanted to use programs to change the colors.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sounds like you have the converter connected properly. If you are running and using AI Suite with success, and you are NOT using any devices that require MSI Afterburner, then I suggest you un-install Afterburner, and maynbe delete it from your system. Glad to hear the problem has gone, hopefully permanently.

tldragonx02

Reputable
Sep 4, 2017
Sounds like you have the converter connected properly. If you are running and using AI Suite with success, and you are NOT using any devices that require MSI Afterburner, then I suggest you un-install Afterburner, and maynbe delete it from your system. Glad to hear the problem has gone, hopefully permanently.
So i started it up again and Dual intelligent launched and it happened again.. Here's a screenshot.
https://ibb.co/v4b9yJJ

tldragonx02

Reputable
Sep 4, 2017
Okay so I kinda fixed it, it allowed me to change the aio pump fan speed which it didn’t before, but I still can’t find a way to have the other fans recognized or change the colour of the aio fans.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Okay so I kinda fixed it, it allowed me to change the aio pump fan speed which it didn’t before, but I still can’t find a way to have the other fans recognized or change the colour of the aio fans.
From your first pick you have the pump pugged into the CPU fan, I don't know of any fan that runs over 3200RPM.

Your pump should be in the CPU pump header and running full speed.